What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assault Rifle Identification.

stecol

Hi,

I'm trying to indentify this assault rifle that looks as an halfway between a chinese Type63/68 and a Type 81.
May be an albanian variant.
This is the only photo I have.

Could You help me, please ?

Regards
stecol

Attachments

• TipoX.jpg
    TipoX.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 109
In the USA many parts to turn an SKS into an AK lookalike are sold on the commercial market. It could possibly be a surplus SKS (they are widely available in the USA) fitted with commercial aftermarket parts.

Thank You Falcon, but this specimen isn't derived from a Samokhodnaya Karabin Simonova.
And in Italy we don't put an aftermarketed weapon into a museum collection.

Regards
stecol

Humm.. very interesting... I dont think its Russian... any markings that you can see on it? Proof marks or such? That would help greatly...

Humm.. very interesting... I dont think its Russian... any markings that you can see on it? Proof marks or such? That would help greatly...

Hi MissingSomething,

I think that it is not Russian too, but of Chinese derivation.
Unfortunately I only have this photo, which was taken along with another hundred in the museum of San Leo Fortress, near Rimini.

At the time I didn't "see" this weapon, many were exposed, only after I noticed this odd rifle.
Honestly I have to say that didn't check the markings of each weapon.

My instinct tells me that it is of Albanian origin, but that's just my idea.

Regards
stecol

I posted this on another forum... comment are:

built from an SVT ( or likely an AVT..)??/

From a Russian collector:

For me, it looks like heavily Frankenstained... Tokarev SVT-40
I mean, shape of receiver (with apparent stripper clip guides on the top cover) and bolt handle cut, placement of the rear sight, shape and placement of safety behind the trigger.. The pistol grip unit with folding stock looks like an afterthought, as well as a front of the barrel ahead of the gas block and front sight
Overall, I'm puzzled

Right ! The basic weapon it's undoubtedly a Tokarev rifle (SVT or AVT ?), but the changes did not seem the work of an amateur, but a specialized workshop: too many changes that require skilled manpower.

Thank You MissingSomething

stecol

Here you go.. might be this:

http://falloutfanfic.wikia.com/wiki/SVT-92

SVT-92S/SVT-92SM

The SVT-92S and SVT-92SM, in which the "S" stands for Skladnoy, meaning "folding", is a variant of the base SVT-92 with a folding, skeleton stock created from pressed iron. This variant is most well-known for having a rear pistol grip to keep a folded stock from interfering with combat effectiveness. The skeleton stock reduces weight by about three fourths of a kilogram.

Yep.. I think its full of BS.. just read it..

During the American occupation of Canada, the M23 (alongside the Chinese Type 93) was used by many Canadian guerrillas. American soldiers came to know the rifle as the "can-opener" for the way that the large round would often shatter the ceramic armors the Americans wore. However, when faced with powered armor, the M23 did very little.

All contributions to Fallout Fanfiction Wiki are considered to be released under the CC-BY-SA

Hi-lite is mine... :tinysmile_fatgrin_t