What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assistance with casing

Wolfstar

Hi everyone

I have a shell casing that has been in the family for some time and has been handed down for 3 generations and was wondering if someone could help me identify it??

I would appreciate any info that anyone might have.

Thanks
DC

Photo 08-03-2013-13.37.16.jpg

DC,

It is a cartridge case for the British 18 pounder Field gun used extensively during the Great War. Taking the 1916 stamp as 6 o'clock, the stamp at 3 o'clock appears to be EOC which would be the Elswick Ordnance Company, UK, the manufacturer of the case. At about 4 o'clock there appears to be a CF this is the case history showing the case has been loaded once with a full charge of a Cordite, or similar propellant.

Regards

TimG

DC,

the stamp at 3 o'clock appears to be EOC which would be the Elswick Ordnance Company, UK, the manufacturer of the case..

Regards

TimG

Tim,

I am aware that the EOC monogram is commonly associated with the Elswick Ordnance Company, and all WWI shell cases with EOC thereby seem to be described as made by Elswick Ordance Co., but pedantically the Elswick Ordnance Company had become part of Sir W. G. Armstrong & Co. in the early 1860s. By well before WWI, EOC was the monogram of the Newcastle (Elswick) factory of Armstrong, Whitworth and Co. Ltd. Would it be more accurate to say that the casing is an Armstrong Whitworth, made in Newcastle-on-Tyne? Or is that barking up the wrong tree?

Tom.

Last edited:
Tom,

Yes, you're right that Elswick re-united with the parent company to become Sir W.G. Armstrong & Company. I haven't access to my records ('Small Firms' etc.) at the moment and I can't remember how EOC is described. However, I thought they still traded under the title of Elswick Ordnance Co. as they were a subsidiary of Sir W G Armstrong Whitworth & Co Ltd.

Regards

Tim

P.S.

Actually found a copy of 'Small Firms on this computer

EOC is described as Armstrong Whitworth, Birtley Factory, Durham.

Now I know! thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited: