What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Austria-Hungarian shrapnel projectile

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I have recently acquired the fired projectile in the pictures below. It measures 65mm in diameter and 145mm in length. I can't find this type of projectile in the documentation that I have. The fuze is marked for a 7cm shell, and looks to be original, but is it?

The three driving bands are unusual as is the raised foundry mark which appears to be a combination of an 'H' and 'E'. There is also a 'V' underneath the raised mark. The base also has markings which I've not seen before.

Any definitive information on this would be greatly appreciated.

20200415_153020_resized.jpg20200415_153052_resized.jpg20200415_153120_resized.jpg20200415_153146_resized.jpg

The fuze is austro hungarian time M75 (1875) so I assume 7cm shrapnel shell from the same era.

m75.jpg

Last edited:
I see no nose piece with fuze upon a shell body. Did pressure rip the top part of the shell body off to release the lead balls?
Regards, DJH

I have found this:

attachment.php

That is exactly it Bob, and super quick! Many thanks. Can I ask which manual does the picture come from?

Last edited:
I see no nose piece with fuze upon a shell body. Did pressure rip the top part of the shell body off to release the lead balls?
Regards, DJH

Yes and the inside of the shrapnell is prefragmented for easier fragmentation.

I wish I knew the source. It is a scanned page I downloaded somewhere.
The book on Austrian artillery by Mr M. Christian Otner shows the same projectile as Shrapnel M1875 on page 79.
This page is a table for the 7 cm Gebirgskanpone M.75 (Mountain gun)
It also gives the dimensions of the shrapnel: 65,5 mm diameter 145 mm height without fuze, 49 mm muzzle.
Bob

Last edited:
I wish I knew the source. It is a scanned page I downloaded somewhere.
The book on Austrian artillery by Mr M. Christian Otner shows the same projectile as Shrapnel M1875 on page 79.
This page is a table for the 7 cm Gebirgskanpone M.75 (Mountain gun)
It also gives the dimensions of the shrapnel: 65,5 mm diameter 145 mm height without fuze, 49 mm muzzle.
Bob

That makes it a perfect fit. I assume that it was too early for it to have a brass case, so bag charge.

Can only tell about the small points on the base. These were punched in during acceptance procedure to check the base for possible pores/blowholes. But I guess you mean the other stamps :)

Yes, especially the 2 wavy lines, like drawn out letters S. Also, there are quite a few double dots. I'm not shure from the foto, if these are real punched dots or corrosion spots.
Can only tell about the small points on the base. These were punched in during acceptance procedure to check the base for possible pores/blowholes. But I guess you mean the other stamps :)