What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Austrian - Italian 37mm rebounding

Gspragge

Premium Member
How can one tell for sure ?

"Your shell is marked on the side "KS (letters overlapping) 1917 S XVI/1". The case is marked "RG (or GR, letters overlapping) S 217 1917".
The base of the gain chamber is flat. My shell is very similar in markings, both shell and case, except for dates, lot numbers, and letter
types in some cases. The hole on the side of mine is a screw-in plug, but on yours, it is only a hole. It might have been drilled out. The tip screws off, "

The casings are Austrian. I'm thinking an Italian copy is a rare thing and it is unlikey these are, but I don't know the difference.

Attachments

• Italian AH Round Gordon 001.jpg
    Italian AH Round Gordon 001.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Hi Gordon,

the cases are of course austro-hungarian. GR=Georg Roth.

The shells I think are both italian. Do they have a plate inserted in the base? Austrian shells would not have a base plate. A second visible difference is the filler plug. The italian shells have their filling plug arranged horizontal like on both shells here. The austrian filling hole is arranged nearly vertical. Also the detonator holder inside has some difference between the italian and austrian shell, can you show them?

But I am also not sure if the Austrians left their design unchanged during the war.

The italian copys of such shells are not extremely rare I tink. The Italians were not bad in mass production during WW1.

Last edited: