What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aviation Bombs Drop Distances for World War I

I spent the last two days going through the post on bomb,fuses, and books sections of this forum. Just making sure I wasn't asking aquestion that wasn't asked many times before. I am trying to learn all I can about different types ofaerial bombs from the Great War (World War I). I want to find information on Entente(England, France, etc...) and Central (Germany, Austria Hungary, Etc...). In particular how long they had to free fall in order toarm. If they had contact fused. If they had to reach a certain velocity inorder to work.
What I found out so far.
The Carbonit bomb fuse had a secured firing pin which wasunlocked by a turning vane after falling about 200m. On impact the now unlockedfiring pin was driven by inertia onto the firing needle which acted thepercussion cap.The 12.5 and 50 kg PuW bombs had one detonator in the headof the bomb while the 100, 300 and 1000 kg bombs had 2 detonators, one in thehead and one in the tail. The stabilizerfins were inclined to induce a spin to the falling bomb. The fuse was unlockedby centrifugal force when the rotation reached a certain angular velocity. Wasthere a certain distance or height the bombs had to travel before this wasachieved?
For the 50 kg bomb a time delayed fuse was designed. Thefuse did not depend on the centrifugal force to be armed and hence the bombcould be used from very low altitude. On impact it had a delay of 90 seconds sothat the bomb could cut through buildings before detonation. Did other Germanbombs have this option?

As far as the other countries go I'm still learning.:dontknow:

AFAIK the standard P.u.W. bomb fuse was armed after 300 m fall (about 1000 ft). There was also a low-level version, armed after 150 m (500 ft).

Am I the only one getting an unreadable black on dark grey post from Justwannaknow?

Regards
TonyE

My bad, I changed to default forum viewer. On top of that copied black text to a white board. Not realizing everyone else was seeing black on grey...
I spent the last two days goingthrough the post on bomb, fuses, and books sections of this forum. Just makingsure I wasn't asking a question that wasn't asked many times before. I amtrying to learn all I can about different types of aerial bombs from the GreatWar (World War I). I want to find information on Entente (England, France,etc...) and Central (Germany, Austria Hungary, Etc...). In particular how longthey had to free fall in order to arm. If they had contact fused. If they hadto reach a certain velocity in order to work.
What I found out so far.
The Carbonit bomb fuse had a secured firingpin which was unlocked by a turning vane after falling about 200m. On impactthe now unlocked firing pin was driven by inertia onto the firing needle whichacted the percussion cap. The 12.5 and 50 kg PuW bombs had one detonator in thehead of the bomb while the 100, 300 and 1000 kg bombs had 2 detonators, one inthe head and one in the tail. The stabilizer fins were inclined to induce aspin to the falling bomb. The fuse was unlocked by centrifugal force when therotation reached a certain angular velocity. Was there a certain distance orheight the bombs had to travel before this was achieved?
For the 50 kg bomb a time delayed fuse wasdesigned. The fuse did not depend on the centrifugal force to be armed andhence the bomb could be used from very low altitude. On impact it had a delayof 90 seconds so that the bomb could cut through buildings before detonation.Did other German bombs have this option?

As far as the other countries goI'm still learning.

Last edited: