What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B1 Tail

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi i picked this one up the other day it was hand painted so i decided to paint strip it and who ever done it has preserved it by doing so, could anybody tell me what the stamp means please
Best
Andy

Attachments

• B1 Tail.jpg
    B1 Tail.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 53
  • P1040077.jpg
    P1040077.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 54
  • P1040079.jpg
    P1040079.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 47
  • P1040078.JPG
    P1040078.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 75
I saw an Incendiary today for sale at Stoneleigh with the same markings.
Not sure what the manufacturer is though matey?

waff

Hi i picked this one up the other day it was hand painted so i decided to paint strip it and who ever done it has preserved it by doing so, could anybody tell me what the stamp means please
Best
Andy

Hi Andy
Not totally sure but the regular B1 tails were normally ink stamped,now this is a total stab in the dark and without research i could be miles off.

A lot of American made Ordnance was designated with an M number before
anything ie M83 Butterfly bomb now could be a possibility that these were used or made in the US ????

Just a theory

Best phil

it's not a manuracturers stamp but an early acceptance stamp, mostly found on Luftwaffe releated items. But I also saw one example on a steel gaine (gr. Zdlg. C/98) inside an inert 7,5 cm shell for the l.I.G. 18.

I have seen similar markings on very early 3,7cm PaK shells and casings ( having year marked with letter codes instead of numbers ). I also thought it was an early "Waffenamt" as there was no eagle stamp on those items.

Ah, I knew I had seen that marking on another item, Reino is right, (like always), I checked my 3,7cm PAK cases and found this:

Attachments

• Case B.jpg
    Case B.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Case K.jpg
    Case K.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Case G.jpg
    Case G.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Case 1936.jpg
    Case 1936.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
About the letter on Andys tail if the B1 were introduced before 1927 it could be the year code. M stands for 1927 and S for 1936.

Thanks Miguel, but I'm not always right - especially when I refer to my poor old memory :tinysmile_cry_t:
Interesting that in your early case head with this stamp there also is a WaA eagle. In those I mentioned there was no eagle. In 3,7 cm PaK shells these stamps often are several on driving band - just like WaA's in later ones.
I think brother StielGr should have some good examples in his collection.

Im sure that the Incendiary i saw for sale yesterday was stamped either 1936 or 1943?

Deffo the same stamps on the body exactly the same as Andys.

waff

Dont claim! Lucky you looking all that sutff, I just can see my walls here.... that is not too bad anyway :tinysmile_twink_t2:.