What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BAe Glascoed

exat808

Ordnance approved
Spent most of yesterday afternoon on a visit to BAe Systems at Glascoed (formerly ROF Glascoed). Unfortunately not open to general public but I can tell one and all how refreshing it was to see shell and cartridge filling facilities in the UK running at high production rates. The site remains remarkably unchanged since my last visit as part of my Ammunition Technician training over 30 years ago. Hundreds of red brick ( and more modern) buildings, tens of miles of road and walkways but sadly in 2010 only 700 employees compared to the 13,000 in its peak. The future of the site is promising according to the owners who continue to invest heavily ( but at what cost to other ex-ROF's). World leading R&D work continues on site also. Sorry no pictures. If you ever get the chance to visit - please go.

Next time you go and if you need a driver or someone to dunk your biscuits for you then I'm your man :D

Thanks LCpl - youre on the list!
Was amazed that since the last visit they are still doing so many labour intensive activities. For example - filled HE shell once cooled are individually gauged for overpaint and obturation. They are then moved on conveyor by hand to be fitted with boosters by hand and finally fuzed by hand, packed into inner and outer containers by hand before being palletised and driven away.