What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Base fuze No.346, need info!

Mrfuze

Premium Member
I have got a base fuze what I thought is British. But after examine the stampings I thing it might be US made. The fuze shows the following markings: "No.346 II N AM 1942 us ".
Is this fuze made in the US for the UK ? or is it British made? I don't know where this fuze was used for either. What is the history of it??
I would be glad to get any response!
Mrfuze, USA

Attachments

• No.346 MK II N, 1, US.jpg
    No.346 MK II N, 1, US.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 30
  • No.346 MK II N, 1a, US.jpg
    No.346 MK II N, 1a, US.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 31
  • No.346 MK II N, 1b, US.jpg
    No.346 MK II N, 1b, US.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 42
Mr Fuze,

No. 346, Fuze, Base, Large.
Introduced in 1932 for Naval use, graze, gas pressure armed. Mk 1 cancelled, none issued. Mk 2 Obsolete 1958.

Fitted to, (and probably to others) 8” & 15” A.P Shell with Cap. (Our Navy has a different way of describing their ordnance to the other services i.e HE is not High Explosive but "High Effect." To any one else this would be an A.P.C.B.C shell)

No.346 – Self explanatory
II – Mark 2 fuze
N – Naval
AM – Makers’ monogram or approved trade mark. I have four listings for AM one Canadian and three British – without doing some research I would not want to even hazard a guess as a possible manufacturer.
1942 – Year of manufacture
US – In this context, not known

Regards

Tim. G.

Last edited:
fuse

Hi,does this fuze strip? If so could you post some more pics, regards Tony.

Hi Tim, thanks for all the explanation for this fuze.
I have also a No.243 PD fuze for the 2pdr gun ammunition, which has the "us" stamping on it. Somebody once told me they were US made for the UK, but I don't have any proof of this.
Anyhow, thanks a lot for your info!
Mrfuze, USA

Hi Tony,
I can't do it in the moment since I'm almost on my Europe trip right now. But surely later on...
Regards
Mrfuze, USA

Attachment is of a No. 159 fuze. According to my 1936 book the difference between the 159, 346 & 480 is the strength of their creep springs.

Regards

Tim. G

Attachments

• 159.jpg
    159.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 34
I agree, I have the No.480 BD fuze which has the same functionings and set-up as the No.346 fuze.
Mrfuze, USA