What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDU28-B open and shut

I had mentioned in an earlier thread on how I had ordered 2 BDU28-B's. Well they come from my supplier unopened. The first one I got, I purposely tripped the release mechanism to show it in the open position. When I got the second one my intent was to leave itt closed for display together. Well I inadvertantly tripped the mechanism and when it popped open it liked to scare the hell out of me. Now I had all the pieces but putting it back to the un-sprung position is a lot easier said than done. Well with a little cheating (zippy ties) I was at least able to "facsimile it" into the closed position. I love these little subs and at 20.00 per unit puts them into the "affordable bracket". 98% of these are dated 11-66 which leads me to think that a large cache must have been discovered in a warehouse at some point, especially un-used as they are. And here they are..........Dano

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I have one Dan, the exact same one. I opened it for a friend a couple years ago and you are spot on on how to put everything back together. I was on the verge of giving up last year when I decided to attack the problem again. After a few days, and some mean spirits and some superlatives in me I got it all back to the together and there it sits on the Vietnam side of my collection with Black (x2) electrical tie downs on it.

If I got another one and depending on how well it is painted could be the one I will leave opened.

One last thing, I'll put together next time wearing a pair of my Nomex gloves, Hot Wear. Too many cut and scratches.

Last edited:
These are great!

I bought one decades ago from a Seller in "Shotgun News" (is that still published?) way before the internet was available.

Had to put it on a special permit along with the 4 x lazy dog bomblets, which also accompanied it.

Cheers
Drew

From memory, my was already "sprunged"!!!

I've often wondered just what were these BDU-28B's filled with or what were their live counterparts filled with? Surely it was not lazy dogs, or was it? Curiousity is just eating me up on this one. Another "DSQ" (dano stupid question) but i'd really like to know...HELP......Dano

P.S. As I mentioned in a previous post, the idea on getting a second one was to keep one "unsprung" for displaying it next to an open one. Well as fate would have it, I inadvertantly popped the spoon trigger. It took the better part of an hour to rig it back together. It scared the living s__t out of me when it sprung. Some TLC, a little patience and a fresh pair of underwear and dano was in business....D

Last edited:
Dan,

Apologies for the confusion, the lazy dogs were also purchased from the same Seller at the time, they were separate and not in the butterfly bomb itself.

Cheers
Drew

Dan,

Apologies for the confusion, the lazy dogs were also purchased from the same Seller at the time, they were separate and not in the butterfly bomb itself.

Cheers
Drew
No confusion Drew, I didn't think lazy dogs came in the BDU-28B but very curious as to what did. I figured some sort of buck shot or maybe something along those lines as the cavity on the inside is very small. Couldn't have been very big what ever it was. Anyway, not related to the BDU28B I was able to get a better shot of the flechettes I just got. I pictured them next to a 12ga shotgun shell for A) size comparison and B) they were supposedly fired from a shotgun shell and also artillery if my information is correct. BTW Drew still got my ear to the ground for a good Scovill..Cheers.......Dano

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
No worries mate - no hurry for the Scoville
(unless you want to sell your new "drill/dummy" one!!:tinysmile_twink_t2:)

Cheers
Drew

I'm trying to remember but I think the actual "frag" was imbedded balls in the wall of the live bomblet. As was mentioned in an earlier post, the BDU-28/B is a dummy, and there didn't appear to be justification for including the actual frag. The detonator and/or a booster were "suspended" from the Pop-up screw on stainless steel arming mechanism and stuck into the HE, which filled the rest of the cavity. But, that is going back a ways; I can't find a reference and my memory is faulty. The balls embedded in the bomblet wall were very similar to several of the spherical bomblets, such as the BLU-61/B and others.

Taber, Thanks pal as the information helps a lot. I sorta figured it to be somewhere along those lines. Dano

Drew, I will keep looking but am very attached to the dummy Scovill and doubt it will ever leave my collection. Fear not, as they are around in varying conditions. They were used from 1907 right through the Korean War, so I should be able to pick a nice one for you...Dano

Drew, I will keep looking but am very attached to the dummy Scovill and doubt it will ever leave my collection. Fear not, as they are around in varying conditions. They were used from 1907 right through the Korean War, so I should be able to pick a nice one for you...Dano

I know you are very "attached" to that one - hence the "bait"!

:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Cheers
Drew

BLU-3/Bs had 0.16 kg (0.35 lb) of RDX inside, with 250 fragmentation balls embedded in the body moulding. I have added a picture where the fragmentation can be clearly seen within the deteriorated submunition wall. It also gives some idea of the cavity size on the live version.

Attachments

• DSCF2925.jpg
    DSCF2925.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 23
A w e s o m e

Very nice Harvey, I certainly appreciate the information, and the photo of the BLU in the wild so to speak is absolutely priceless. I have a better working knowledge of how these worked thanks to you. Dano