What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Behilfsmine' Tinte

pzgr40

Premium Member
'Behilfsmine' Tinte , 'Improvised mine' Tinte

German mine, made from an English 75 mm shell. These mines were found in a small place in holland called "De Tinte" in the county Voorne in the Netherlands in 1980. The farmer who ploughed them up from his land stacked them alongside the road, where I (even than allready ) pictured them and measured them. Later a large caliber collector who saw the pictures told me that the shell was a Brittish 75 mm projectile. It must have been the German spoils of war on the English in Dunkirque or North Africa. The Germans removed the driving band and shellcase ( brass and red copper were scarse strategic materials), removed the fuze, placed a ZZ.42, filled the space surrounding the ZZ42 with sawdust, and topped it with cement to fixate the fuze. According to the older people living in the farm nearby, their farm was occupied by Georgian troops with a battery of artillery. Around this position 3 mtr long poles were erected in the farmland, a mine mounted on top of each pole. the wires were criss cross connected to prevent gliders or airborne troops from landing. The farmland not mined in this way was flooded. As no further descriptions are available, I suppose we can call it the "Tinte Behilfsmine".

Attachments

• M-Behifsmine-Ger-Wo2-01-sec.JPG
    M-Behifsmine-Ger-Wo2-01-sec.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 100
  • M-Behifsmine-Ger-Wo2-02.JPG
    M-Behifsmine-Ger-Wo2-02.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I agree with Kiwieod,has all the features of the 3.7" HE projectile.
Finally a use for all those burnt out ,band stripped projectiles, Dan?

Hello,

Really don't know why you are insisting with 3.7in ?

Regards

3.7in vs 3.jpg