What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEHOLD! The finest No23 Mk3 you are ever likely to see.

paul the grenade

This fine specemin arrived today and i hope you will all agree its a beauty.
All paint markings are original.
Its marked on the body, lever and base plug with the manufacturer Edward Williams, (Smethwick Birmingham) and dated march 18 the discharger disc is marked W & Co (Ward & Co Birmingham) and is dated jan 18 The bottom of the centre piece is unusual as its coated in blue varnish??
Enjoy the pics.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• No23 Mk3 8.jpg
    No23 Mk3 8.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 119
  • No23 Mk3 2.jpg
    No23 Mk3 2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 142
  • No23 Mk3 4.jpg
    No23 Mk3 4.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 128
  • No23 Mk3 5.jpg
    No23 Mk3 5.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 124
  • No23 Mk3 6.jpg
    No23 Mk3 6.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 113
  • No23 Mk3 1.jpg
    No23 Mk3 1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 154
  • No23 Mk3 3.jpg
    No23 Mk3 3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 136
  • No23 Mk3 7.jpg
    No23 Mk3 7.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 122
Paul,

What a discovery that is my friend. Very interesting to have a look up close. Was this like a "Holy Grail" item for you Sir? Up close on the second frame, what is that that appears to be pink paint?

Cracking gren Paul,

a fantastic find, especially with so much of the original paint left. Thanks for showing it.

Andy

Hi Mark.
The pink paint denotes the type of explosive used. Ammonal or Alumatol. The red on the top denotes it is a live grenade. (its empty now though)
Cheers, Paul.

Paul,

What a discovery that is my friend. Very interesting to have a look up close. Was this like a "Holy Grail" item for you Sir? Up close on the second frame, what is that that appears to be pink paint?

Paul
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but surely that is a No36 disc on a No23 grenade? Or were the Mk IIIs intended for use with both rod and disc?
(Apologies for lateness of reply; I haven't logged on here for a while.)
Best wishes,
W.

hi william. the disc is 100% original to the grenade. it was stuck fast to the base plug when i got it and needed some oil to get it free.
cheers, paul.

I'd always assumed that a 23 baseplate would only ever have a rod and a 36 a disc. No obvious reason why they couldn't be interchangeable though. You live and learn!