What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Belgium Canister

Gspragge

Premium Member
I haven't seen anything quite like this before. My question is was this
French made casing possibly exported to Belgium. Any other information
would be interesting. When I got it the nose was glued in, a rag was stuck
to the glue - a pair of underwear - a New loading for me !

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]case 278mm length, base Dia- 84mm (not counting washer thing), open end 75mm (slightly out of shape).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Canister 250mm (not including the nose), about 72mm (so to ride over rifling I expect) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Three internal plates that hold the heavy nose in place, I expect these were held in by a steel disc over which some kind of base was crimped this now missing. Nose adds 25-27mm to length.[/FONT]

Attachments

• IMG_0001 7.jpg
    IMG_0001 7.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 97
Why do you think it's exported to Belgium ?
What are the dimensions of the shell ?

Yoda

Last edited:
case 278mm length, base Dia- 84mm (not counting washer thing), open end 75mm (slightly out of shape).

Canister 250mm (not including the nose), about 72mm (so to ride over rifling I expect)
Three internal plates that hold the heavy nose in place, I expect these were held in by
a steel disc over which some kind of base was crimped this now missing. Nose adds 25-27mm to length.

I am told that the case was a French 75 and that these were supplied to Belgium cut down after 1914.
The canister is Belgium I am told.

Hello,
Case looks to me like a French 75x277R made in Castel-Sarrazin in 1907; are they crimping dots around the mouth?
The canister can't go with it since the projectile can't be bigger than the case.

Those are crimp dots, it fits and is not larger than the case Dia. Measured less than 75mm.
You are correct on the case ID. But a cut down case for Belgium is correct it seems 1914 on.
Now that thin washer type disc, could that be proper as part of the conversion if there was a headspace
issue with the belgium guns, that is that the case this replaced had a slightly thicker rim ?

"The case was a french early 75 mm M 1897; Those cases were not stamped 75 DE Campagne but with the name of the factory
and this went on from 1897 up to 1907. This factory was settled in CASTELSARRAZIN in southern France; After 1907 the factory
code name is only "C". The primer comes from Ecole Centrale de Pyrotechnique in Bourges.
After 1914 fightings, Belgium had lost all its factories and therefore France offered its help so that they shortened
the french cases to the length of belgian ones. "

If anyone knows the proper projectile exposure when in the case I would like to know this to make sure it's set correctly.

I had quite a time fitting the three curved liner pieces back in. But there is a secret !
Two of the three are straight all the way up. One is slightly narrowed on each side at the upper end.
Clamp the first two in place then tap the third piece up between the other two and it will all fit together.
Once in place they lock and are held in place by the outer brass body.

The answer to the washer is this ;

"I forgot to tell you that the french rim on the base of the case is too small for the belgian gun use
and therefore a brass washer was soldered to widen the rim to fit to Belgien guns.
Bernard "

So the whole round is correct. I just have to slightly swage the top of the case a bit eventually ( a bigger cow bell)
though to clean it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0001 2.JPG
    IMG_0001 2.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Does anyone have a drawing of this ?

Does anyone have drawings of this projectile, I have no references at all.
Ah Ha , there were crimps on the case, but no sign of same on the canister.
This is why, the bottom is off, rather more than I expected.
If there is some one out there who thinks they can sort of restore this
and are interested let me know and so on.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I have drawing, it seems these have a solid metal base which is off of mine, I have the
canister part, when emptied the base was tossed it seems.

I am looking for a Belgian canister base ----- faint hope but here is a drawing of it.
Brass with a copper band.

Maybe you have one as an ash tray !

Attachments

• IMG_0226-1.jpg
    IMG_0226-1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 75 belge culot boite a mitraille 72 res.jpg
    75 belge culot boite a mitraille 72 res.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 35