What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beneath Hill 60

An excellent WW1 film about the massive mines loosed beneath Hill 60 on Messines Ridge during WW1. Did not even know of this film and ran into it by chance at video shoppe. Well worth the 2 hour investment to watch...Dano

I watched this film a couple of months back Dano. Sat down with my Dad and a few beers. Fantastic film. My Great Grandad did the same job in WW1, but in the British army. He was commisioned as he was a coal miner at the time.

its a great film . .dont see many austrailian war films very often.only thing wrong with it is the dodgy bayonette on the dvd case :)

This was an interesting film.
I always assumed trench warfare as a 2D kinda thing not all this undermining etc.
It must have been horrific period and must have had a heavy toll on soldiers.

Regards
Bart

Great film,and very interesting,on TV last week there was a programme about the under mining and placement of 400 tons of explosive in 17 tunnels under the German lines,when detonated the effect was devastating,on the film it described how the defending German troops could see the line of huge explosions coming towards them but there was nowhere to go to get away from them,the craters are still there some filled with water others criss crossed with footpaths,I think all are still war graves,when seen from the air as in the tv prog they are quite awe inspiring,apparently when detonated the rumble of the explosions rattled the crockery in No,10 Downing St,
Don,