What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big cases of the German Navy during WW1

Dandebur

Hello.
Please, I have some questions about the big cases of the German Navy during WW1.
About the 21cm Navy ( 210x836R mm ) SK L/45, if the year of adoption is 1895, I am very surprise because I have a case of the lot 1 which is dated V 98. ( MAI 1898 ). Why such a long time between the adoption and the fabrication of the lot 1?
About the lots on the big cases ( 21cm and more ) of the Navy, I am amazed because they are often very high. I show another case of 21 cm dated IX 1915 ( september 1915 ) the lot is 2927. Does somebody know how many cases are in a lot?
Another question for this 21 cm and also the 24 cm ( 240x1030R mm) I have always seen PATRONENFABRIK KARLSRUHE as manufacturer. Does somebody has seen others? POLTE?
Regards
Dandebur.View attachment V 98 Lot 1.JPGView attachment IX 1915 Lot 2927.JPG

Hello Dandebur,
as far as I know, C/95 does not stand for the year of construction of the case, but states that the case is set up for the use of the ignition screw C/95. The successor C/12 had the same dimensions as the primer C/95. So C/95 stands for Zündschraubenlager (Screwhole) C/95 which the C/12 primer also fits . Later Cases (after the war) are called C/25 etc.
Regards
Leichtmatrose