What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Shell & gun

kz11gr

Hi

Do you have, please , some informations about this gun & ammo ?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Orig-Foto-1-WK-G...?pt=Fotografien_Fotokunst&hash=item41548795ff

seem 15cm naval round.

attachment.php

Attachments

• shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 256
  • shell_.jpg
    shell_.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 34
if it is a 15 cm it could be a 15 cm KiRL (Kanone in Rader Lafete). These are the same cases that were used in the 15 Ubts kanone. The Germans built it from some Uboats into fieldkanons. These cases were marked with a SP stamp and not with a marine stamp. I have one in my collection. I have no document that refers to the use of marine marked shellcases but would not be suprised if they also used marine stamped ones

best regards

DM

Last edited:
A bit off-topic, but a stupid question: What is the SP + number code in old cases? Is it an inspector's stamp like WaA later on or case type code? If it's a case type code is there a list somewhere to tell what they are?

A bit off-topic, but a stupid question: What is the SP + number code in old cases? Is it an inspector's stamp like WaA later on or case type code? If it's a case type code is there a list somewhere to tell what they are?

yes, it is an inspection / acceptance stamp. SP = Laboratory/Ammunition factorys of Spandau (today part of Berlin). The number is for the fireworks officer which was responsible for acceptance.

Hello kz11gr,

this gun is a "15 cm S.K. L/40 in Radlafette".
This particular gun with the recoillbuffers (?) beside the barrel came originaly from ships where they were installed in a "Mittel-Pivot Lafette C/97".
There's also a model (also with an L/40 barrel) where the recoillbuffers are on top of the barrel and these came originally from a "Turm-Lafette C/97".

I have a 150x575 mm case from 1907 with all marine stamps, one from 1915 without the marine stamp but with the month as VII and one from 1917 with army stamps.

The 15 cm Kanone in Schirmlafette was mounted on a central pivot and had a housing which covered most of the gun (on the landships website you can find pictures of above mentioned guns).

Kind regards Arjen

ps thanks for showing the picture!

Last edited:
Thank you very much Arjen, Alpini and the others

Effectively, it's a beautiful Gun and interresting ammo

regards :tinysmile_twink_t2: