What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bigger stuff than I normally collect

A

Armourer

I really only collect small arms ammo now, so I was surprised to find I had this lot of what I'd call bigger stuff :tinysmile_twink_t:

Attachments

• bigstuff.jpg
    bigstuff.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 219
Small Arms Ammo !

Hi Armourer

For someone who only collects Small Arms Ammo you seem to have acquired rather a lot of very nice LARGE items !

I am intrigued to know what the largish cased round is sitting near to the GAU8 Prac/Drill round ?? looks to be about 40 mm possibly A.P with a single driving band and brass case.???????????????????????????????????????:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Thanks and good luck in making those items smaller :tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

I am intrigued to know what the largish cased round is sitting near to the GAU8 Prac/Drill round ?? looks to be about 40 mm possibly A.P with a single driving band and brass case.???????????????????????????????????????:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Which one is the GAU8 Prac ?

If the GAU8 is the orangey/gold coloured one the tall round next to it has a Headstamp of 37MM MIC LOT27423138-32 S.C.1943 and the Primer thingy is stamped WC-3-30 (might be 8o or 3o) 1943 M23A2. The bullet has no markings I can see and is quite heavy.

If the GAU8 is the one with the grey bullet the the short round in front has a headstamp of MODEL OF 1918 37mm GUN <US ordnance mark> 1836-31 W.P.S Co AM LOT089-38B and the bullet drive band has stamped on it <US ordnance mark> LOT 1089-4

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice!

Have you any german ww2 amongst those goodies??

best

waff

A couple of 13mm and 2 different types of 20mm.

I think after checking on the net that I have:
2 x 13mm MG 131 rds 2 different bullets HE and API (again I think)
2 x 20mm MG 151 rds 2 different bullets HE and API (again I think)
1 x 20mm MG FF (??) HE

If i can add my two pennys worth to this, i will start by saying nice collection you have there Armourer. And secondly the case that Chris 42 RQ is asking about would seem to be the US 37mm case with a WW2 German 3.7cm AP projectile sat in it. Is the driving band made of sintered iron insted of copper?

Regards Weasel.

Last edited:
If i can add my two pennys worth to this, i will start by saying nice collection you have there Armourer. And secondly the case that Chris 42 RQ is asking about would seem to be the US 37mm case with a WW2 German 3.7cm AP projectile sat in it. Is the driving band made of sintered iron insted of copper?

Regards Weasel.

I have just polished the drive band and it is copper.

I know very little about anything over .50 cal. ( and some gits might say "and sod all about anything under .50 cal" :bigsmile: )I suppose that it is possible that the case and bullet are mismatched or maybe the bullet is fake ?

The case is in very good condition as is the bullet, there are no dents or dings on the drive band. If I polished the case up apart from one small ding it would look like the complete rd had just come off the production line.

The bullet is firmly in place and the primer unfired. I can hear something rattle inside the case and I assume the primer is oiled. I'm 100% sure there is no powder.

37 mm to Polish or not=NOT

Thanks Armourer and Weasel-yes now I can see it as being a 37mm American round.
As for the "if I polished up the case" OMG-"NO polish please", some will say that is sacrilige applying polish.

Nice items though.

Hi Armourer thanks for posting the picture, some nice things there. I'm only really into rounds over 19mm but, as you do, end up with some smaller items. The printers draw is a fantastic idea for the smaller rounds, I'll be getting one now!!
I agree with Chris, don't go polishing the case especially if there are good markings on it.

I agree with Chris, don't go polishing the case especially if there are good markings on it.

No problem, I won't polish it and anyway the markings on the case came off when I used nail varnish remover to clean the dirt and dust off it........

......only joking :tinysmile_twink_t:

37s

What is the 37mm with the red white near the tip ? and the others, do you have an image of just those lined up. Looks altogether quite nice indeed.

What is the 37mm with the red white near the tip ? and the others, do you have an image of just those lined up. Looks altogether quite nice indeed.

I have these rds all listed as 1 pounder shells but that is probably an over simplification.

As you should see from the photo the cases are various lengths, they have various headstamps and a couple of the shell heads are removable to I couldn't guarantee they are in the right case. I think the red/white one is British and I'm sure that it is a repaint job.

I quite like them but dare not get too interested in them or get more, Mrs Armourer says draw fulls of Small Arms Ammo is quite enough !!!

Attachments

• 1lb'er.jpg
    1lb'er.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 26