What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bit stumped poss Nordenfeldt?

reesteod

Ordnance approved
Hi guy first post on the site and i would like to thank anyone in advance for any help or replys

IMG_1408[1].jpgIMG_1409[1].jpgIMG_1410[1].jpgIMG_1411[1].jpgJF0001[1].jpg

The history of it is (apparently) that the barge owners grandfather was tasked with his trawler to assist in the evacuation of Dunkirk and allegedly they were fired upon by the German defenders and they found this item on the deck later.

On the top it has a recess for a key with a hole on the opposite side with the numbers 1880 or 1889 stamped on it. There also appears to be what looks like a crown stamped on it and there is the letter M stamped on it.

It has what looks like a 5 and a cross stamped on the side.

At the base it has either 4831 or 4331 stamped on it.

The driving band has not been scoured so it has'nt been fired!!! I have made them aware of the potential dangers.

The owner of the barge claims that it has been stripped down (the fuse) or more than likely removed and or replaced. My concerns were/are that when it was handed to me, you could hear an object sliding within it (alarms went off in my head) as I thought it may have been a ball bearing that had freed itself. Apparently it has always been like this.

The length of the item is approximately 21/22cms and at the base the diameter is 5.5cms.

Any idea what item it is? I have attached some photographs of it and a sketch with dimensions.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Best regards

A bit odd that it was found on the deck presumably after being fired during the Dunkirk evac. as it does not have any rifling marks on the drive band!

and someone opened this shell a long time ago. The two small vertical lines near to the serial numbers are normally one line to indicate that the cap is in it's original position. Also the small set-screw securing the cap was drilled out. And yes, it is unfired. More likely someone lost his souvenir during evacuation :)

Can you post a clear picture of the crown stamp as it appears to be a german navy acceptance stamp? And please meassure exact diameter with a caliper...

Last edited:
Mmmmmm thats what i found odd about it either 1. made up story or 2. found by a tommy and left on the deck also its not fused????

Hi Alpini
Exactly 55mm and yes its been opened a long time ago i think its had the fuse replaced sorry i cant get my camera to focus in on the stamp but i think your correct with the german acceptance stamp.