What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black parkerizing (phosphate)

BMG50

Premium Member
Apart from collecting ordnance I also restore other military collectables like radio's etc. I usually parkerized or phosphate parts either as a pre paint prep or as a finish itself which there are two types, zinc phosphate which is a lighter grey or manganese which is a dark grey, both soak in oil to the finish or can soak in paint so you don't have to use a primer. Most WW2 painted parts are primed this way ie helmets etc. It's a great finish after sand blasting parts to preserve and prevent any future rusting of cherished items you have, ideal for the stuff we collect.

Looking at the gun forums in the USA and Canada I have found that you can get a black phosphate finish by using a pre dip solution. It seems to be much safer than using hot black oxide salts which in some cases can turn purple on some steels. Have any of our American or Canadian form members used this black pre dip solution for black parkerizing, what do they think of it and how easy is it to use and the results. Also can I get this pre dip solution in Europe as I seem to be robbed of by finishing suppliers in the UK that it's a US fad, quote 'someone filling a market thats not there' quote, basically it seems they can't supply it and are behind modern processes, but over the other side of the pond it's not a problem. I would have some shipped over but at over 100 for a quart bottle for shipping for a $30 bottle it would be easy to get it from a supplier in Europe. Any one know or can help.

Last edited: