What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boer war era Indian made fuze?

Darkman

My mate Ron has what we believe is a No. 56 Mk IV fuze dated 4/99 and attached to the top section of a 15 pdr shell. It is not marked with a fuse number but does have a "IV" marked. There is a "65" marked but it does not appear to be a No. 65 fuze, so this may be a lot number.
What is interesting is that below the manufacturer "C/l\F" there is what looks like a capital "I". On a lot of ordnance this signifies Indian manufacture.
Can anyone verify that this fuze is indeed Indian made and perhaps identify the maker "CF"?

Cheers, Graeme

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg

Last edited:
I know little about fuzes, but the capital "I" surmounted by a Broad Arrow was introduced as the mark of Indian Government ownership in Indian Lists of Changes on 22nd April 1895, so you fuze is definitely Indian. The factory initials are placed either side as is the "C F" in your example, which is the factory at Cossipore.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Hi Graeme,

I had advised Ron that it was a No 56 fuse when we were at his place last year as the telltale indicator is the "IV".

The No 56 Mk IV and from memory Mk V were the only two Mks produced for the No 56 - although I have never seen a Mk V!

The No 65 normally has a "65" stamped on top of the locking nut and has 2 x time banks or rings, so it is definitely not a No 65 - I'll post a pic of a No 65A later (the "A" designates new manufacture and not a conversion from No 56, 57 or 60)

I had intentions at one stage to do a post of the various variations from the No 56 through to No 65 - perhaps in the future when time permits.

Cheers

Drew

BTW - Here's a post a did a while ago where a No 56 had undergone 2 x conversions:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/77632-Double-conversion-Bristish-No-56-Boer-War-Period-Fuze

Last edited: