What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bofors 40mm WWII dated shell

Well I was just pulling back into the driveway from getting a prescription refill, and noticed the UPS truck stopped in front of my house. Now this is a really small podunk town so that could mean only one thing, a goodie had arrived. The 40mm Bofors (44 dated) shell from Indiana army surplus (19.95us)! Wow, I had never seen one other than a picture and this is one bitchin' shell..Dano

Attachments

• Picture 110.jpg
    Picture 110.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 80
It does look nice! Maybe you need to exercise your painting skills? You have a variety of ways to go, Navy or Army. There are a bunch of different loadings for the Navy, which means lots of choices.

30mm paint

Yeah John, On the EJ ord site they show a couple of WWII painted HE Navy rounds, and i'm going to do it one of those ways after I finish a couple of other projects i'm currently working on. They're some bright colors! Dano

realy nice

Realy nice dano please post some pics during painting in the restore area that would be cool !!
i have not much experience with ordnance and rounds of other countrys than german but this would be realy nice to see !!

best regards David

Ps. my friend your wife is not shouting because you bye so much ??:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

prices

Hi Dave, My wife don't really care what I get as long as bills are paid and groceries in house. I buy a few items, but I won't buy unless I get it cheap (I may be opening the proverbial can of worms here). I still like WWI German grenades and there are 2 for sale that I would just love to have. I'm not going to buy either one because of their inflated prices. The only thing that makes an inflated price "fair market value" is when someone comes along and pays it.In the difficult economic times we're in prices are being chopped on many things to "sell" them. In my mind why should ordnance be any different. I'm real patient and have learned from years of experience that when you "overpay" for anything, one will come along later at the "right price". Some of the prices out there are just gaudy. I think free enterprise and profit are just fine, but what in the 80's we called "grabbing" just won't fly here. I just bought a WWII #36 Mills body for 30gbp shipped, and ordered internals, handle, base plug (eveything to complete the grenade) for 25gbp shipped, which adds up to 55gbp for a complete WWII #36 Mills, which isn't bad. I could go on and on but i'll just stay with that one example. I guess i've bored you long enough, but this is a subject I feel really strongly on. I'm outta here...Dano

Dano, where did you order the bits for the Mills Grenade? I have been looking for a source for these.