What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bofors automatic cannon

Tony Williams

I've updated my web article on Bofors 20-57mm automatic cannon and their ammunition, here: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/Bofors.htm
Bofors family.jpg

Hi Tony
So where does the 25x185SR m/38 AA (aka 25x187SR) fit into the picture?
Presumably being a development of the m/32 AA ....

Hi Tony
So where does the 25x185SR m/38 AA (aka 25x187SR) fit into the picture?
Presumably being a development of the m/32 AA ....

I made a brief note in the article: "A revised version, the M/38, fired 25x187R ammunition, but neither saw much service. "

Is there any info on the 47mm Bofors? By design of the projectile something along the 40x365R and the 57x438R.

Hi Bob,

I wasn't aware that Bofors made automatic guns in this calibre.

My bad! I always thought the 37 x 250r round was a Bofors development, but on further reading(!) it appears to be a Russian development of the 25mm Bofors.
I did think it odd that you would have missed it ,now i know why!

Cheers ,
Bob

Is there any info on the 47mm Bofors? By design of the projectile something along the 40x365R and the 57x438R.
I've never heard of an automatic Bofors gun in this calibre, but I'm not so familiar with their manually-loaded ones.

Tony, since the 47mm looks like the 40 and 57mm I would assume it to having been automatic too.

My bad! I always thought the 37 x 250r round was a Bofors development, but on further reading(!) it appears to be a Russian development of the 25mm Bofors.
I did think it odd that you would have missed it ,now i know why!

Cheers ,
Bob

The Russians also had their derivate of the 25mm in 25x218R as the M40.
It would be good to find out if the Russian 25mm and 37mm were designed by Bofors and then licenced or if the Russians just bought the licence for the design and made up their own cartridges. I would actually wonder if the Russians designed the cartridges themselfes.

The Russians also had their derivate of the 25mm in 25x218R as the M40.
It would be good to find out if the Russian 25mm and 37mm were designed by Bofors and then licenced or if the Russians just bought the licence for the design and made up their own cartridges. I would actually wonder if the Russians designed the cartridges themselfes.

The Russian ammo is described in my web article I provided a link for in the first post (scroll down to the bottom).

If the Bofors did develop a 47mm automatic weapon, I can only presume that it was an early stage in the development of the 57mm.