What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb casing manufactures

DEADLINE222

Not just with bomb casings, but with all ordnace; to me, more than half the fun of bringing home something new is to research the manufacturing history when possible.

But specifically, I am interested in what manufacturer markings/codes you collectors have found on your casings.

I am particularly fascinated with A.O. Smith out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I am given to understand that they made bomb casings throughout World War 1,2 and beyond.

The majority of my reasearch has been done on the World War 1 Mark series bombs, in which I have several in need of restoration. I have seen several poor pictures of originally pained Mark series bombs, but nothing clear enough to allow reference for a restoration. One of my finds had the original markings under some brushed on paint, but earlier in my collecting days, I made no effort to preserve them.

Becasue of my fixation on the early Mark series bombs, until the past week I was oblivious to the lot number stampings on my 1945 dated ANM-64A1, 500 pound casing, which clearly reads A-O-S for "A.O. Smith".

I would love to hear what you know and see what you have concerning this topic.

Here is a picture of my first Mark III years ago. If I knew what was under the poorly applied paint I stripped off, I may have been able to save this original paint.

AAA1234567.jpg

Not just with bomb casings, but with all ordnace; to me, more than half the fun of bringing home something new is to research the manufacturing history when possible.

my thoughts exactly on the manufacturing history !!!
its just part of the story.

BTW anybody know about manufacturer info for AN-M47 WP / chem. bomb?