What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb Fuzes failures

kz11gr

Hello

a question of thekees (moved from an other post)

How many bombs use to fail when dropped (duds)? Just curious, is it 10 percent or more? Seeing the ammount of bombs dropped, there's still a lot to do!
Are there any numbers? and is there a differance between German, us or Brittish Bombs?

up to 1932 when trials in Germany were carried out on mechanical and Electrical bomb fuzes, it was found that electrical fuzes were superior. these were then adopted.

Statistics

Hello,

we can evaluate that WW I ammunition have a 30% possibilities of deficience.

WW II, this percentage is of +/- 15%. Technology word better and better !

What about bombs, we find more US and UK bombs away. German bombs are rare ! Find your conclusions...

Yoda

Yoda, about the number 15 percent is a lot, And about the german Bombs, maybe the best info comes from the Brittish, due to the fact thet they were bombed by the Germans, and the mainland by the Allied forces.
So are there a lot of German dud's found in England?

Hi i think i once read somewhere [After the Battle magazine?]that the British Government still keep a register of all the locations for bombs dropped ,suspected UXBs ,etc that where classed as non threatening to the war effort/local population at the time [1945 ?] and so left .Sometime in the 1990s the press got hold of the list and caused a bit of a stir because there where 2000 plus ranging from open farm land to people gardens ,regards Dave