What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb ID needed

Tmine35

Premium Member
Can anyone ID this most likely German bomb on right of pictures. Diameter 160mm and length 850mm. Made of very thin metal sheet with no fuze pocket. In nose is a thread.
For size comparison on left is LC-50 flash bomb.

Attachments

• bomb-1.jpg
    bomb-1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 112
  • bomb-2.jpg
    bomb-2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 78
  • bomb-3.jpg
    bomb-3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 69
Reino,

Is it a sealed unit at the 'tail' end or is it open?
Also any chance of any better detail on the fins as they look unusual?

I will keep looking, but cant find anything yet........

regards Kev

It's not in my hands. I'll ask for more details and revert a.s.a.p.
To me it also could be of Russian origin but can't find anything like that in my Russian books either.

Here a close up of the tail part. Looks like there has been a possibility to attach something on the vanes. The body is all hollow with open bottom.

Attachments

• bomb-4.jpg
    bomb-4.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 44
Sorry my mistake i thought it was the one on the left we were trying to ID DORRRR .,,,,,,, Dave

The one at left appears to be a U.S. Target Identification (T.I.) bomb.
John

Don't know why I didn't catch the single suspension lug.
John

@ Strakv; This indeed looks like SAB-15. I have a poor picture in my book and the tiny vanes didn't show there. The body is diameter 160mm and 850mm long.
Can someone still confirm thread size of Fuze TM-4B which was used in SAB-15? Actual size here is M24x1,5mm. I have cheked thread size of AGDT-B which is in my SAB-3M and it's different.

I can't check the TM-4B's thread diameter right now, but it should be the same as the AGDT-B. Your bomb may be missing the screw-in booster charge holder which makes the difference in the thread sizes.

According to the attached data sheet the diameter is 160mm

Regards,
Vince
SAB data sheet.jpg

There is something strange in fuze thread of this bomb, AGDT-B that goes in my SAB-3M has thread diameter 25,6mm - I could not measure pitch but it rather looks closer to 1 mm than 1,5mm of the SAB-15.
My SAB-3M has no gaine pocket and fuze attachs direct on body. I can't check now the SAB-15 but if it has a gaine pocket on it's outer thread diameter must be larger than 25,6mm.

MYSTERY SOLVED
As this item is not in my hands I asked my mate once again check the fuze pocket dimensions. Both threads and pocket dimensions allow an AGDT-B fuze to be screwed in.
Thus no doubt that this is a standard SAB-15.