What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb identification

Dreamk

Could someone identify these bombs found in a dump (apparently of a company in Poland or in the Czech Republic, reprocessing old ammo dumps from Eastern Europe).
Screenshot 2023-03-13 165305.jpgScreenshot 2023-03-13 165106.jpgScreenshot 2023-03-13 165018.jpgScreenshot 2023-03-13 164947.jpg

Though these are shots of modern ammo (I suppose dating form the 70s) they have some characteristics reminding of pre-ww2 Yugoslav bomb developments.

The bombs are not of Czechoslovakian design, that's for sure. I guess Yugoslavia...
Polish bombs were mostly licensed from the USSR. (there are of course exceptions)
Akon

Wooh! This is a surprise. Thanks a lot! These are indeed interesting projectiles, I was totally unaware of their existence. They looked really like aircraft bombs , though the presence of holes between the fins should have make me think twice.

The German Navy has a similar type of anti submarine depth charge, but the caliber is 375 mm. The attached photo shows a practice variant.

Attachments

• UJRak Üb DM 18.jpg
    UJRak Üb DM 18.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 25
The German Navy has a similar type of anti submarine depth charge, but the caliber is 375 mm. The attached photo shows a practice variant.

French also used 375mm, different from 305mm, 375mm is not a mortar projectile but a rocket.
As far as I know Swedish Bofors made 375mm ASM rockets.

https://www.netmarine.net/f/armes/lr375/index.htm

German ASM ROCKET 375MM (UBUNG DM28) :

Bofors_U-Jagd-Rakete_375_mm.jpg

French 305mm ASM mortar projectile :
305mm ASM MORTAR FRENCH.jpg

French 375mm ASM rocket (no gas check band) :
375MM ASM ROCKET FRENCH.jpg

Last edited:
Hello MINENAZ16,
this is an interesting info. Did the French Navy used the same fuze like the German Navy for this rocket?

Attachments

• RAnZ DM 14(S).jpg
    RAnZ DM 14(S).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 10
Hello MINENAZ16,
this is an interesting info. Did the French Navy used the same fuze like the German Navy for this rocket?

US documentation described 3 fuzes for Swedish 375 ASM Rocket, Stidar (for HE - strange designation as "stidar" is a short name for fuze in swedish), Zambo (for HE - same as your picture) and smoke fuze (practice).
I don't know if French used various fuzes. I only know one with unknown name (hard to find navy documentation). You can see this fuze one the rocket picture I posted previously.

Last edited: