What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb Mortar thing ??????

Hi Dave,aerodynamically speaking the body of the "missile"would mask the fins (being smaller diameter to the body)so it would be unstable in the air,it would need to be longer for the fins to have any effect to stabilise it in flight,as the fins are close to the body if thrown as a grenade I doubt they would have any effect at all other than to make it heavier,could it be a cobble that someone has put together "just because it fits",I have absolutly no idea as to what it is but it does not "look"right somehow,I hope someone can identify it as I am intrigued as to what it is,
Regards,
Don,

Totally Don, if its a Mortar the head is too big to fit the barrel, i was just hopeing some one might reconise the head as that's quite nice and old looking, the fins seen much later,,,,,, Dave

The fins look a bit battered, if they were straightened out they would be bigger, but would they be big enough? The body has an obturating ring cast into it so it appears that it is a mortar round. Just my observations.
Cheers Gary

Strange item.......Dave could you give an accurate diameter of the body at the widest point, if it is a mortar body it may help to narrow it down a little.

regards Kev