What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb Smk BT 2in MkI

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

I don't understand what means "B.T. - Bomb Thrower" ?
What means "A.F.V" in the text ?

Regards

74.jpg74 2.jpg

Smk MkII mortar to compare :

72.jpg

Last edited:
Minenaz16,

Some tanks were fitted with "Bomb Throwers" which are essentially mortars by another name, in order for the vehicles to deploy smoke. I'll post a diagram later.

TimG

Bomb throwing mortar rounds smoked straight away as they had a much shorter range, where as normal mortar rounds had a delay as these smoke rounds started to deploy smoke on their downward decent as so not to give the firers position away.

Sebastian did you miss the real one in Soesterberg at your visit?

Regards,

Chris

Sebastian did you miss the real one in Soesterberg at your visit?

Regards,

Chris

Hello Chris,

I think so but there were so many beautiful things to see in so little time !
I remember well the "little john" turned in door stop ;)

It was the standard smoke bomb thrower used in WWII British tanks. The sketch shows its position in the turret of a Cromwell MkI, with stowage for 30 smoke bombs. Alignment for aiming was by swinging the turret on to the target and sighting was by using the turret sighting vane.

Tom.

Attachments

• Cromwell turret.JPG
    Cromwell turret.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 72
The bombthrower was also used on US tanks, that why the ammunition is mentioned in TM-9-1901-Artillery-Ammunition-1944 on page 79.

Here a pic of our bombthrower.

Attachments

• 20160331_103535.jpg
    20160331_103535.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 44
So, this 2 inch smoke mortar without the delay is the AFV type

Attachments

• 20220204_101224.jpg
    20220204_101224.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 29