What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb tail fin assembly

Slick

Having little reference material at hand, I've spent some time on the internet trying to determine the details on this fin assembly. To no avail. It has been hacksawed off and the "donut" piece added as a finisher to the project. The original intent may have been to create another Squadron cigarette butt recepticle. An unfinishedd project, forgotten and ultimately sold.
Having perused untold sites in search of a Mark/Model number, nothing was apparently similar. Can anyone here ID what this came from or reference a site that may have the answer. Thanks in advance.

Rick

Attachments

• ordhut 037 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 037 (Small).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 33
  • ordhut 038 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 038 (Small).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 21
  • ordhut 036 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 036 (Small).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 22
  • ordhut 039 (Small).jpg
    ordhut 039 (Small).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 18
Hi Rick, First I have not a hint of a clue what the fins are for, but agree would make one hell of an ashtray. I found my 215mm German Morser Howitzer casing in the bathroom this morning, the wife had stuck a plastic bag in it and said it makes one hell of a garbage can. Well I swiped it back and stuck it back in collection! Dano

I am just as curious as you are.

Assuming the item was made in the United States, I did a search on every type of aircraft dropped ordnance or whatever I could find, and only a much more complicated cluster bomb with a 336mm diameter comes close.

http://maic.jmu.edu/ordata/search.asp?SearchMode=0

I have found that often Ordata's images are inaccurate, so you may want to dig deeper. You may have a variation to something not pictured.

My first thought was it is from a MK81, (looking to pay good money for a fin for myself) but it does not have the door on the side for the rear fuse.

I feel as if I have seen a picture of this piece on another forum. Where did you find it?

Deadline

Got this in a nice lot of other, comparable items. This is the first I've posted it. Not a bomb guy myself, but have a few fin sets layin' around.
Not sure of the country of origin. I can only assume it's U.S. vintage.

Rick

I dont know a thing about bomb tail units but they look very much like the ones on this photo i took when working in germany last year

Attachments

• DSC00176.jpg
    DSC00176.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 33
Excellent! Looks like the same thing, for sure.

Did some more searching and found this pic. Appears to be from an Isreali museum.

Attachments

• bomb fin (Small).jpg
    bomb fin (Small).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: