What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Box for 2 Pounders

Falcon

At Malvern a few weeks ago I saw a steel box stencilled for 2 Pounder rounds. I thought it was unusual for an ammunition box as the top lid was completely flat with no strengthening stampings. I have noticed there are a few of these flat topped boxes in use at work as tool boxes. What type of box is this?

Hi Falcon,
I saw a 2 pr box at Malvern too. It was a Naval box for 2pr pom pom with nice stenciling and available for 4 i think. I was very tempted at that price but it would have been the box that broke the camels back!! so had to leave it. Dont know what the official designation is though. Over to cpl combat....
Hangarman

I had another look at the 25 Pounder box today. Some of the writing can be made out, but it is very faint. It would be impossible to photograph.

It says it held 14 of Mark [Unclear] HE and 14 of Mark{Unclear] HE in links. It is definitely marked for 2 different types of HE, why would they have done this?

It also says somethink like "28 CARTRIDGES 2 PR MARK VIII GUN"

It appears that the letters are printed directly onto the galvanised box. Were these boxes issued un painted originally?

From my descrptions, does nayone know what the designation of this box is? I can take a photo of it tomorrow if needed.

One can only dream of having the 28 links that were in that box, let alone the rounds themselves. So many of what are now really nice items must have gone into the sea over the years. There could also possibly be a long forgotten warehouse full of boxes of this stuff in some far off country.

I must have missed this thread the first time round, apologies Hangerman.

2 pdr mk VIII gun
In belts C.214 qty 28
Bulk C.214 qty 30
In belts C.218 qty 28
Bulk C.218 qty 30

2-pr A.T, mks IX-X guns
complete rounds C.198 qty 16
complete rounds C.207 qty 16
A.P.C.B.C. c.289 qty 16
Blank C.207 qty 16

2-pr Q.F. sub cal
mk I gun L.A. C.102 qty 50
mk I gun L.A. C.205 qty 50

That's the one Andy.

Does anyone know what "HE MK 70 TFOIL" and "HE MK 75 FOIL" mean?

Box.

Hi Andy,the box you pictured is as far as i know the ready ammo box used to store ammo on ship ready to reload guns in action. Made of steel in a heavier gauge than normal.Falcon if you did not buy a box like this for 4 quid you want shooting! As for the foil,i have never seen this reference before.I suspect it refers to a possible bore de-coppering additive in the round???Other input welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
The box I saw was painted brown, but definitely had the flat top. It looked like it could have been a re-paint. There are a couple of those boxes at my work with dividers welded inside them for tool boxes.