What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

box id?

smle2009

Hi all,
picked this up yesterday,made of black plastic,my guess is that it is used for detonaters?
Love to know if I'm totaly wrong on this!
Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• P1040008.JPG
    P1040008.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 38
  • P1040009.JPG
    P1040009.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 35
  • P1040010.JPG
    P1040010.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 46
  • P1040011.JPG
    P1040011.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 41
Hi Tony,
You're exactly right. Five L1A1 non electric dets or five L2A1 electric dets fit in these containers. The different models were never supplied mixed. Your box is missing the red plastic tape on the outside. I think there was also a paper label linked to it that gave the designation of the dets eg `Det Dem Electric L2A1' and acted as a tamper evident seal. Both models of these detonators are supplied in a steel outer box, H82. I forget how many could fit in one of those. Often for transportation, detonators in H82s were then placed in steel `coffins' - red painted strong boxes that weighed more than I liked to lift and had lots of bolts securing the lid to the body. Coffins were allowed to contain all types of detonator provided each type was within their own H82 in the coffin. The `DR 7059...' etc is most likely the drawing design number for the plastic package. Not sure what the bits beneath mean.
Matthew

Last edited:
Many thanks Ammotechxt,
for once I guessed right!,think the bits underneath the drawing No are the manufacturer(seen PEL on something else but can't think what) and the date February 2003
Cheers
Tony

I forgot to say that if you get one with a large raised letter E on the top, it means it contained electric dets, ie the L2A1 type detonator. For night identification.