What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boys Drill Round Headstamp Markings...

charlton

Hi
First post, from Sunny Hawke's Bay NZ...
I've got a Boys "Drill" round with R(broard arrow)L 39
markings - Royal Laboratory Woolwich. But can someone
explain what the U. I opposite markings signify?

Thanks.

Hi Charlton,
the U I is a Mk 1 inspectors round,not a drill round and I think harder to find!

Cheers
Tony

"U" for Inspectors

Although I have no documantary proof, I believe the suffix code system originally used the first letter of the loading, e.g. "B" for Buckingham incendiary, but if this was already allocated the last letter was used, thus "Y" for Pomeroy because "P" had already been used for the armour piercing round. If both letters had been allocated already then the second letter was used and so on.

When the prefix code system was intoduced in 1927-1928 these codes continued and new ones added based on the same principal. "D" was allocated to "Drill" and "L" (the last letter) for blank, so when a code was needed for Dummy the second letter "U" was assigned.

People had pondered for years over the origin of these codes, but despite me and others spending a lot of time delving onto records at the National Archives, Pattern Room and other official sources no explanation has been found. This despite the fact that I have an original contemporary document listing them, but unfortunately without explanation.

However, I believe that my theory is probably correct as it can be used to explain pretty well all of the codes with the possible exception of "Q" for Proof. It may be that as "P", "R", "O" and "F" were all allocated to other loads there was no letter left to assign so they took the next letter to "P" in the alphabet and used "Q".

Complicated I know, but it does work....unless someone has a better explanation.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Thanks Tony
Does the U signify anything? Usage perhaps or similar?

Thanks
Hi Charlton,
not sure if you thought the I was a i (for inspectors) it is a Roman numeral 1(MkI) the U is for Dummy/inspectors as explained by TonyE.
Cheers
Tony