What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BPD .303" & 7.92mm

smle2009

Hi all,
just got these from a swap with Andysarmoury & Dano1917(many thanks guys) both are Itailian manufactured,the 7.92mm is a drill/dummy made of very light white metal,headstamped BPD 953,the .303" is ball (inert) & headstamped BPD 37,would anyone know if these are millitary or commercial? I do know that BPD(Bombrini Parodi Delfino) made 303 drill rounds for the ACF much later on (thanks to TonyE's book!)
Tony

Attachments

• P9220001.jpg
    P9220001.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 35
  • P9220002.jpg
    P9220002.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 40
  • P9220003.jpg
    P9220003.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 35
Bpd

The BPD .303, or more correctly 7.7mm, was for the Italian Air Force who used this calibre. They come in a variety of loadings, including two different sorts of incendiary/Explosive. I can post pictures if interested.

The 7.92mm is also military and was made on contract for Egypt. It also shows up in ball and tracer loadings.

Regards
TonyE

Bpd 7.92

Some time ago I picked up this packet and on looking at the contents was surprised that they were not Israeli but Italian. The headstamp is BPD 953, brass primer/purple annulus, all the cartridges look like they have been washed as the bullets and cases are pale without any shine. The packet gives, I believe, a Lot No 3-73/53 and further down a date of 1976. I don't know what the "red" printing says. I presume this ammunition was picked up after one of Egypt's forays, cleaned and repacked.
792Israeli.jpg

Bpd

Repacked Egyptian as you say. I have seen the dull yellow Israeli re-packs before. They appear to have used a very mild acidic wash which causes this effect.

Regards
TonyE