What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brass tube

Burney Davis

Premium Member
Does anyone recognise this 'brass tube'? It has the feel of being a cartridge case but it is threaded at the mouth and is particularly long for its diameter. Dimensions are 415mm x 32mm at the mouth and 38mm at the base. TIA

20221007_170857.jpg20221007_170914.jpg20221007_170928.jpg

No ID but it reminds me of an artillery primer stage of manufacture?? No holes yet along the sides. Interesting item.

It has far thinner walls than any primers I have seen, but I can see your reasoning Ron, many thanks.

I seem to remember there being what was known as a "Push-fit primer" in a US 105 mm case that was current in the 1970s, and that was a long one, like yours. Not saying yours definitely is because I don't remember seeing any personally.

I seem to remember there being what was known as a "Push-fit primer" in a US 105 mm case that was current in the 1970s, and that was a long one, like yours. Not saying yours definitely is because I don't remember seeing any personally.

Many thanks for your thoughts on this.

Burney Davis
I have a very early long straight walled primer and this has v cut petals that folded inwards and once fired straighten out in line with the rest of the tube, so do not think it is a primer due to the threaded top as this would offer too much resistance to bursting, if not military then possible options could be an un finished pump tube air /water or bug spray or even a table leg which might explain the threaded top, have you checked what size and pitch the thread are yet ?.

cheers womble