What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brit No 15 Grenade

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi, A year or so ago I brought a Brit No 15. It's in good condition and whilst I have a few, this is the only one I have that the wire retaining screw is not seized. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the filling plug. I've used heat, cold, soaked it in oil.......................... and it still refuses to move. Anybody got any suggestions. Cheers Colin

Hi, A year or so ago I brought a Brit No 15. It's in good condition and whilst I have a few, this is the only one I have that the wire retaining screw is not seized. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the filling plug. I've used heat, cold, soaked it in oil.......................... and it still refuses to move. Anybody got any suggestions. Cheers Colin
Hi Colin,

yes, i have one, dont remove it. Ime sure you eventually may damage it in your frustrated attempts to get it out.
I have a few grens that i know i will only b****r the slot if persevere in going at it.
Its exactly the same in theory with beginner beekeepers. Every time they go into a hive, they must find the queen, looking through every comb to find her. Eggs and young brood are much easier to find and if present, all must be well with the hive so why risk killing the queen until you are more confidant.
I am over the stage where everything must come apart. As long as it looks good and is inert, thats fine for me.

Andy

PS used to often get 40 or 50 stings a day on each hand when working my bees cos ide left the gloves at home.
A

status quo

I totally agree with Andy, don't mess with it any more. Something is bound to get buggered. The No15 is a classic mainly for its miserable failure at Loos on The Western Front. What a piece of history. Take apart the little womans vaccum, then make her put it back together!!..Dano

I totally agree with Andy, don't mess with it any more. Something is bound to get buggered. The No15 is a classic mainly for its miserable failure at Loos on The Western Front. What a piece of history. Take apart the little womans vaccum, then make her put it back together!!..Dano

Hell Dano,

you are a hard assed mean bastard!!!! [lol] Good idea though, must try it but it depends on if ime that brave.

Andy

Thanks for the comments guys, but this little sucker will be coming apart:xd:

Do you have any luck removing that part? I just got my NO-15, so I wonder if there will be any chance to take it apart.

Cheers

I managed to get one undone but i had to heat up the gren with a blowtorch to loosen it. even then it took a lot of forward and backward turning with loads of wd40 before it finally squeeked undone.
Paul.

Looking forward to see that one paul.
icon14.gif

Has anyone got a pick of a stripped down no15? I have a couple of them but seem to be like most other people and have given up trying to unscrew in fear of buggering it up

Hello Colin,
About 30 years ago I had a Queen Anne Cannon Barrel turn off pistol. The woodwork had completely rotted away leaving me with the silver grip base piece and the rest of the metal components.
In order to make a new walnut grip and restore the piece without damaging any parts I needed to disassemble it completely but everything was totally seized. I asked for advice from an elderly friend who put the entire piece in a small bucket and filled it with WD 40 so that all the seized parts were submerged. He wouldn't let me touch it for two weeks. When the time had elapsed I was amazed that all the parts, including the barrel which had looked as though it would never be removable, came apart with the minimum of effort and caused no damage at all.
I've never forgotten that, in fact at present I have an inert but totally rusted solid 30mm rifle grenade fuze unit in a small tupperware container submerged in WD40. Seven days have passed and I'm resisting the temptation to take it out and have another go at unscrewing the seized thread. I'm looking forward to seeing if his method still works in seven days time. I just have to try and forget that it's in to soak and occupy my self with another job!
Cheers,
Guy.

I've had good reults with WD-40 as well. Just leave it soaking and forget it, eventually the WD will work its way in.

Somethings are a little to big for that though, I had a projectile I was given once that I needed to open to prove it was empty. A soft lifting lug had been placed in the nose, and at least once it had been dropped on its nose, deforming the lug. That and 30 years of rust had completely seized it.

Tried chaining it down (it was a 280mm) and using a 2m pipe, all we succeeded in doing was to peel off the outer layer of the lug. I was more than mildly reluctant to use heat on something that I had not yet confirmed was 100% safe and due ot the size could not soak the piece, so for some time forgot about it.

An old timer machinist was visiting one day and looked at the piece. He told me simply to take about a 3lb hammer and smack the projectile near the nose about 5-10 times, moving around the munition as I do it. Do that every night when I get home for a month or so, then see what I get.

Did that, it became a nightly ritual for 4-5 weeks. At the end of it I put a wrench on it and it came right out, no pipe necessary. The repeated vibration breaks down any weak spots, in this case the corrosion on the threads. For smaller (solid, not sheet metal) items I would still recommend it, scaling things down and using softer metals to avoid damaging materials. Don't know if its applicable for grenades, but its a thought.

Hello again UK Subs,
I hadn't thought of giving it a good thrashing, but the idea sounds ok providing the fuze is known to be inert. The one I have is definitely safe, but I can't use the good old blowlamp on it because the nose of the fuze is made of Bakelite. As it's only a small round I will try a few gentle taps with a very small 'hitting stick'. I think by what you suggested, that with care, it may well assist the WD40 to get into the works. A few dings on the surface won't be a problem as one side is deeply pitted and I want to fill the Pitts with Chemical Metal and then tidy it up on the lathe.
Thanks for the advice,
Cheers,
navyman.

Good luck.

PS - UK free for 233 years. US-Subs