What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 25pdr Smoke and Chemical projectiles

Vasco Da Gama

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgPictured are 2 recovered 25pdr projectiles in the first stages of restoration. The grey projectile I believe is an unfired chemical shell, based upon the deep fuze well and the filling hole in the base. The second (attempted light Brunswick Green!) shell is a fired WW2 smoke shell. Fuze cannot be removed but I was lucky to find a replacement ballistic cone.

I would appreciate views on my identification of the chemical projectile and what the groove in the nose of the smoke shell would be fitted with, if anything. Having cleaned the smoke shell the rust pattern inside the groove is the same as on the normal surface which to me indicates that it has been on the shell since it went into the ground.

As always glad to have your comments.

The grey projectile is a Mk X 25 Pdr fitted with a Type 2 base. This base was used on the Mk III, VI, VII, VIII, IX and X chemical projectiles.
Based on this it appeaqrs to be a chemical projectile. It should measure around 330mm in length.

The groove on the fuzed projectile is, i believe, where the fuze well screws into the body of the projectile. At some point it has been partially unscrewed and rusted in place.

Finally, do the stamped markings on the 221 fuze have a letter after them?

Cheers

Pete

Thanks for the information Peter. Sorry for the slow reply, I work away from home in the week and could not confirm the details you mentioned.

The chemical projectile is confirmed at 330mm in length.

The fuze on the smoke shell is marked: No 221.1 RC 40 CY 4 42 702. Separately on the top ring there is a large C
The middle ring has a capital J, the lower ring normal time markings.

I hope this is of some value.

All the best