What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 3 pounder Nordenfelt?

Vasco Da Gama

The pictured 47x376 case turned up in a local antique shop. I thought a standard 3 pounder but the base stamping could indicate an early case. My understanding is that both Hotchkiss and Nordenfelt 3 pounders entered service with the Royal Navy in 1885 and 1889 respectively. There was discussion over the best breach sealing mechanism to use and this was the main difference between the guns. The Hotchkiss design proved itself and the Nordenfelt guns drifted away. Both guns used the same ammunition but could the case marked only with a N be an early Nordenfelt produced item? I don't see the N being the later marking for Naval use but could stand to be corrected. Pictured next to a more standard 1917 case ( top and with crimps) for comparison. As always glad to have your thoughts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 58