What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British .30" cabine blank

smle2009

just recived this .30" cabine blank in part of a deal with Hicky1300,thanks H, it is headstamped K .30MK1,manufactured by Kynoch but does anyone know if this a military or commercial blank?
Cheers Tony

Attachments

• PA080001.jpg
    PA080001.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 23
  • PA080002.jpg
    PA080002.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 38
Hi Tony
cheers for the feedback - I left some for you. Glad you are happy. Cannot recall when or where I got this but I have a couple more!

.30 Carbine

Kynoch made .30 Carbine ball for the British military for use when stocks of US wartime ammo ran out. I have ball rounds dated between 1954 and 1960.

They also made blank and limited quantities of tracer, but it is not known if these were for British use/trial or for export. The lack of a date on your blank example suggests it was not for the UK, and may even have been for film use.

Although loaded with NC propellant, the carbine rounds were not headstamped "1Z". In fact, my Kynoch blank is unheadstamped.

Regards
TonyE

Many thanks TonyE once again,have you found any info on the case blackend South African .303" yet?
Cheers Tony

Blackened .303

No, and thanks for reminding me. i will post it on the IAA site now that it is up and running again.

Cheers
TonyE

From the book I am reading I'm getting information that it is: 7.19g bullet, Vo is 600 m/s, Eo is 1294 J. It was indeed made in Great Britian. It also says that that round is the heaviest round made, the next closes one is 7.14g for weight and it was made by Hertenberger. There seems to be that the rest of NATO's armory is in the upper 6's to lows 7 differences in the bullet. Not sure if this helps you or not.

V-40

Last edited:
30 Carbine

I am not sure which book you are quoting from, but there is little or no difference in bullet weights.

Also, we know the round was made in Britain. We have the examples, the specification and I have copies of the production drawings.

Using Imperial measure, which the round was originally specified in, the spec. for the US M1 Ball round has a bullet weight of 111 grns. The British bullet weight spec. was 112 grns and I believe the Hirtengberger bullet weight was 110 grns. Thus the bullet weight of both is within 1 grain of the spec. of the US round. That is far closer than manufacturing tolerances, so it is pointless to say one bullet is the heaviest.

This is military ammunition, not match ammo. Weights between individual bullets can easily vary by 4 grains (if spec'd, at + or - 2 grains).

Regards
TonyE

Source for US data - Frankford Arsenal Ammunition Specification Sheets.

That doesn't sound right to me either. I think I actually may have misquoted from Jane's. I'll have to go back and see. TonyE, you are probabley correct.

Does anybody else here use Jane's Infantry Weapons books?