What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 37 mm impact munitions

RogueAdventurer

Premium Member
G'day all,

I'm looking to work up a 'complete as possible' list of which 1.5 in / 37 mm impact rounds were used in UK (military) service.

Can anyone point me to an existing list or provide some details?
e.g. 37 x 122R ('rubber bullet'), L5 series (Mks 1 through 7), L21A1, L60A1, L60A2, etc.

Cheers!

Hi,
I have the following on a list -
Arwen prac XL17E1
Arwen Trg XL27E1
Arwen irritant XL26E1

So, building on the list from @roller63 and additions from @exat808 (do you know if the XL26E1 was the AR-3 frangible irritant round, or the AR-5 barricade penetrator?), I have the following:

All 1.5" or 37/38mm respectively. British Army issue. All issued rounds with black or grey painted alloy case, or black with wide cream or white band for L5 series. White text.

L1A1 and L1A2 - Hardwood pointed projectile. No details of case or pics.
L2A1, L2A2, L4A1 Proof, XL2E1 and XL2E2 experimental/trials - Rubber pointed projectile.
L3A1 long range, L3A2 long range - Flat nosed PVC projectile also known as a "plug".
L5A1, L5A2, L5A3, L5A4, L5A4B1 (modified), L5A5, L5A6, L5A6B1 (modified) - flat nosed PVC projectile.
L5A7 - last of the L5 series. Made in Europe (Germany?), no white band on case.
XL5E1 - Experimental/trials.
L8A1 and L8A2 – Blank; blue aluminium cased
XL12E1 and XL13E1 experimental/trials – type unknown.
XL17E1 - ARWEN practice round
L21A1 and XL21E1 experimental/trials - Brown polymer projectile
L23A1 – Drill; turned aluminium; Oxford blue
XL26E1 - ARWEN impact/irritant round
XL27E1 - ARWEN training round
L38A1 and XL38E1 experimental/trials (white) - Plastic cased (blue)
L60A1 and L60A2 – Dark grey Attenuated Energy Projectile (AEP). Grey case.

Any errors or omissions?

That's a much neater version of my list ! I didn't include ARWEN rounds in the list, there is a separate thread about them somewhere. Thanks also to exat808 for the previously unseen ARWEN numbers.

Are you not including CS and Irritant rounds in this list ?

One more to add, L8A1 proof, presume for flat nose pvc baton, see post No 24 on the thread with my list on.

Last edited:
That's a much neater version of my list ! I didn't include ARWEN rounds in the list, there is a separate thread about them somewhere. Thanks also to exat808 for the previously unseen ARWEN numbers.
Are you not including CS and Irritant rounds in this list ?

I wasn't going to, unless they are impact/RCA combined projectiles (i.e. excluding barrier penetrators, smoke, etc.).

Just found -
Cartridge 37mm, Anti-Riot, Irritant L37A1
Cartridge 37mm, Anti-Riot, Practice L36A1

Just to clarify for anyone unfamiliar with these beasts:

The Arwen rounds are physically incompatible with the others listed, they use a rebated-rim rather than rimmed case.

The L21A1 and L60A1 are designed to be fired from launchers with rifled barrels (the rest are for smoothbores). This is particularly important for the L60A1 AEP which only works if it strikes nose-first.

More info and pics here: http://quarryhs.co.uk/baton.htm