What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 37mm projectile colours?

Tony Williams

Hi all,

I'm looking for some illustrations (photos of rounds or book illustrations) showing the colour schemes used in British 37mm rounds: 1 pdr Hotchkiss, 1 pdr Mk III/V, 1.5 lb Vickers, 1.5 lb COW.

Thanks for any help.

Here are two images, without and with flash.
Standard 1 pr PD, red band for explosive filling, base colour is a black varnish. Many just seem to be black with no red band.
Standard 1 pr penetrating AP, white band (dirty) for steel (no red band so no explosive filling) over black varnish.
MKlll 1 1/2 Pr with white and red band for Steel and explosive filling, over black varnish.

Technically there is no such thing as a British Hotchkiss 1 pr.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 67
Thanks to Gordon for the group pic - I have one just like the one on the far right, so I now know what colour to paint it.

I am still wondering what sort of paint scheme would be used on the COW Gun projectile on the far right of this group? I am assuming basically yellow, possibly with a red band just below the fuze and a green band at mid-length? Can anyone help?

oldcart.jpg

By the way, the same question applies to the short (37x69R) 1 pr Mk III/V HE shell with a No.131 fuze. I have a B&W photo of the round showing a pale background colour and two dark bands, one just below the fuze (red?) and one at mid-length (green?).

I always thought that vintage/class of projectile weren't covered by the colouring codes(apply only to larger ordnance until into the '30s?),maybe something to do with the whole 37mm/1lb class,treaty?.
Have never seen any sign of paint,other than bands ,on any of these projectiles.

Hogg & Thurston's book on British Artillery Weapons & Ammunition 1914-1918 has photos of both the 37x190 and the 37x69R rounds, and in both cases the projectiles are clearly painted. Same applies to the 37x94R. Unfortunately the photos are not in colour.

Not saying they are wrong but they are definitely repaints,wouldn't be the first time someone has misinterpreted colour coding application.

What are repaints ?

Far right projectile, is it a COW ? or is it an 1 1/2 Pr - the band style is not the COW type ?

Here is a 3pr with the same colouration. I would expect the right hand projectile to
follow the black body with red band if it had black powder filling. But mustard yellow if it
had an HE filling with red and green band depending on HE filling.

The 37x69 projectile body shows some remaining original mustard yellow below the band.

What fuze is on it ?

Attachments

• IMG_469.JPG
    IMG_469.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 37x691917b.jpg
    37x691917b.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 33
Far right projectile, is it a COW ? or is it an 1 1/2 Pr - the band style is not the COW type ?

I don't know, Gordon. It was sold to me decades ago as a COW round and I've never questioned it - I don't know enough about these things to tell. What does a COW HE projectile look like?

Cow projectiles have a double band in the French style, Burney Davis can give a better
answer to wether your projectile is a 1 1/2 pdr than I can , but it has the look of one for sure.

I am sure there have been posts in the past of original painted HE projectiles. I know a sectioned one was about
with original paint, I thought I had the image ? Somebody should be able to post one here. I will have another look.

I found the images, not very clear but clear enough. The projectile has a shipping plug. It is not mine
and I believe was posted here several years ago.

Also a 2 pr which has a red band for explosive fill and what appears to be a white one for steel though the body is black
and seems to indicate a black powder filling--- which doesn't altogether make sense as this is not a penetrating projectile.
1Pr steel PD projectiles just have the letter S to indicated cast steel versus cast iron. May a 2pr expert can clear this up rather beyond my
knowledge and references.

Attachments

• 2prroundvert.JPG
    2prroundvert.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 34
  • MKlll-b.jpg
    MKlll-b.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Mklll-a.jpg
    Mklll-a.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Here is a marked 1943 solid shot COW with37mm, 1942,VAD,23649GL markings. Painted black with a white nose. picture to follow(hopefully!!!)