What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 57mm Projectile?

MikeS0000

Hello Folks -

Just an occasional visitor/member as I run across items while collecting Great War rifles and accoutrements. Here is one I found in a local shop for a reasonable (IMHO) price. It is 57mm. Diameter x ~172mm (6-3/4"s) Height. Looks to have an Arrow in a partial box, a 'U' and a 'squiggly' on the base. Not threaded on the base and of course missing the band. Weight wothout band is 6lbs.

Looks to be two, and possibly three coats of old paint. Not sure if any is original.

Any thoughts on this one?? :tinysmile_shy_t:

Thanks and Best Regards! Mike

Attachments

• 57mmShella1.jpg
    57mmShella1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 57mmShella2a.jpg
    57mmShella2a.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Looks like a 6PR 7CWT AP shot. WW2 rather than WW1.

length of shot depends on mark, range from 172 to 173.7mm

From the look of the tracer pocket it looks like a Mk 4 shot, there should be some stampings on the body under the paint.

Quatermass.

Last edited:
Looks like a prime canidate for Lou's super duper fantastic driving band replacment technique.:xd:

Can't see anything that looks like stamping on the body. No harm in stripping it?

Band replacement? Ya' got me on that one! :tinysmile_eyebrow_t

6pr

It does look like a ww2 6pr ATK shot, yes strip the paint its too poor to keep, try a chemical stripper not mechanical and it should show stampings in the boby indicating type. Any questionson these then post what they are. Been previous posts on rebanding in various places, suggest you try 'Search' using the words driving band or similar if no joy.
2pr

It does look like a ww2 6pr ATK shot, yes strip the paint its too poor to keep, try a chemical stripper not mechanical and it should show stampings in the boby indicating type. Any questionson these then post what they are. Been previous posts on rebanding in various places, suggest you try 'Search' using the words driving band or similar if no joy.
2pr

OK, dug out the Strip-Eez and cleaned the body off. Not a mark or stamp to be found. Other than the base it is bare as a 'baby's bottom?'

Paint was the black over a cream color. Other thasn some rust where the paint had worn off it is in real nice, clean condition, however, the machining does not look as well done as the other 57mm APCB that I have. Perhaps this was a reject?.

Last edited:
The other option, considering your location, is that its an American Shot, AP, M70 for the 57mm Gun M1.
The examples I've seen have had all the information stamped into the driving band which may well explain your examples lack of stampings.

Quatermass.