What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 95mm Howitzer towed gun case

Vasco Da Gama

I thought to post a few pictures of a case that indicates the transition from the 3.7in mountain howitzer ammunition to the 95mm infantry and tank gun. The case is 91mm long and is the same as the case for the mountain howitzer but is marked for the 95mm gun. I take the marks of SP & INF as support and infantry. My understanding is that the 95mm howitzer was developed in 2 versions, as an infantry gun in towed form and as a close support gun for tanks. The infantry said they did not have the manpower to use such a complex weapon and could get the same service from their mortars and by using the radio to deliver artillery fire. The tank version, 206mm long did enter service on vehicles such as the Centaur. Pictured alongside a standard tank case for comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 44
Your case has crimps around the neck and is for the fixed 95mm round. There was also a separate 95mm round that used a very similar case.

The fixed round was used in the SP gun and the separate was used in the towed gun.