What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Balloon Incendiary Bomb ?

I completely missed this thread earlier and was happy to find it. Special thanks to Bonnex and kahu1 for the info on the Baby Incendiary.

I've had one of these for at least 30 years and had no idea what it was. I always assumed it was a small practice bomb of some sort and never considered it might actually be an offensive weapon. Now I'll have to dig it out and figure out if it is the 5 or 6 ounce type. Not sure how one made it to the American West coast......perhaps those balloons traveled farther than planned.

Of course, a small town here in Oregon was the site of the only fatalities from the 9000+ balloon bombs launched by the Japanese in WWII. A pregnant woman and 5 Sunday school students out for a picnic lunch found a balloon bomb near Bly, Oregon on May 5, 1945. It exploded as they approached and killed all of them.

Rick

I have racked my brains over the paraffin jet bomb. I am assuming it worked on the old paraffin blowlamp principle and gave out a stream of paraffin that acted like a smal flame thrower. Most of the documents from MID have been lost. The inventor does not seem to have made a claim for royalties from HMG post war.

If you look at it (The diagram in German put up by Spotter) carefully you will see that this diagram shows the SIP grenades only - not the wire trailing device. There were two versions of this SIP grenade balloon. One had seven seperate bottles released individually one at a time, the second type on the left translates as "netting brand bottles", and this had two bundles of four bottles, making 8 in total. Each bundle of four in the second type was enclosed in a net bag. See pictures in this thread by Blu97 showinga German officer examining the neted bundles of bottles. So this diagram presumably only shows Balloon Device "C".

During the war between March 1942 and September 1944 small naval parties on the East Coast launched 99,142 balloons. Of that number 45,599 carried trailing wires and the remainder 53,543 various types of incendiary devices.

Last edited:
Very interesting documents, blu97.
Please, which are the titles of these documents? Is it possible to find'em around the net?