What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British / Canadian fuze?

timefuze

Hi,

Can someone shed his light on the remains of a fuze I found please (see pics). What type is this? It reads "LP-3B" on the side. Anyone a clue what this means please?
The fuze seems to be percussion DA and resembles a bit to the no117 or 119 fuze (height, material), but is has a wider diameter (approx 30mm) at the top.
Fragments of the 117 & 119 fuzes were found in the vicinity of this unidentified one.

Thanks,

timefuze

DSCN6902.jpgDSCN6900.jpgDSCN6901.jpg

I don't think it is a 119, as all those I have found are one-piece bodies. The milled part at the top looks like it is a separate attachment to the rest of the body (photo 1), consistent with it being a 117. Photo 2 looks like the body under the milled portion is bulged, so I reckon the milled portion is the more accurate representation of the diameter of the top of the fuze. Perhaps it struck something square-on that was very solid and the body impacted onto the top part of the fuze when the shell detonated?