What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British coinage and more

Slick

I have amassed a sizeable collection of world coinage over the years. Much of it valueless, what with the conversion to the Euro and countries ceasing to exist. There isn't much value in it collector wise as it's generally sold by weight. There are exceptions based on composition, silver specifically, and age/condition, but the brass, bronze, nickel, copper, etc. are at best face value.

All that to say, if there's anyone on board here with a similar interest, let me know. I've recently completed organizing the lot and have a ton of leftovers. I ended up with 1483 coins from 131 countries organized into 7 volumes of 14 pages per. Used those 20 count coin holder plastic pages and the 2X2 coin holders. Quite the chore, let me tell ya. VERY glad I'm done with that.

For leftovers, for instance, I have an extra 247 Brit coins of assorted vintage and denomination. Lots of old pennies and half pennies and farthings and shillings. And a lot of it current circulation stuff, so could use it to buy the odd shell case or projectile.

PM me if you have a need/want for your own coin collection. I just may have it in stock.

Rick

Dear Mr. Moderator: If you deem this post should be listed under FOR SALE, I'm good with that. But it's really not for sale stuff, per se. It's letting the folks here have first grabs before I sell it on eBay by the pound. Collectors being collectors, I'm betting there are a few on here with similar coin/currency habits.

Examples:
IMG_1758.jpgIMG_1761.jpgIMG_1760.jpgIMG_1759.jpg

Sets of WW1 pennies (1914 - 1918) have been selling well over here for £25 a set. May be worth looking at.

John

Even so, antique dealers here often sell each penny for 50 pence which in new money is 1d X 120 (there were 240 pence in a pre decimal currency £.

They are often used in museums for old slot machines. So they still have a life in the UK.

John

Also check if you have any Edward VIII,the one that was nearly king in 1936! Most were destroyed at the mint but a few escaped into circulation,dated 1937,and are extremely rare...so rare that even Spink and sons do not list a value for them in their books!

A good way to fund your ammo collecting hobby. Pennies - in the date field in tiny letters for those dated 1912, 1918 and 1919, you might find the letters H (Heaton mint) - all three years, or KN (Kings Norton mint) - 1918 and 1919 only. They are worth more than others of the same date that don't have those letters. However as I'm sure you appreciate, the condition plays a bigger part. Low mintage counts also play a big part, eg 1952 sixpence and 1959 Scottish shilling, just over a million of each minted but a relatively low figure and probably not many left in better than average condition. Unless they are in exceptional condition they will never be worth much in our lifetimes.