What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Fuze XN8-MK3,what was it used with?

What action is it please?

Other than it is an "Experimental Naval Fuze Number 8" I have no idea?
Is it T & P/Mechanical Time, Pyrotechnic or electronic ??????????????

Sounds like it should be 1960's vintage-any markings ?

Last edited:
The time markings run from 1 to 11.
A few other markings including one that looks like it was put on with an electro pencil.

I'll try and get some pics later.

Cheers,
Andy

A couple of pics as promised.

Cheers,
Andy

Attachments

• XN8 001.jpg
    XN8 001.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 58
  • XN8 002.jpg
    XN8 002.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 42
Chaff dispenser Fuze ?

For some reason I am thinking of a "Chaff" dispenser for your fuze, not sure why I have that notion as the number N8 is not familiar to me-other than "Experimental" which is backed up by the individual annotation in electro pen.
Lets hope someone comes up with the correct usage for that nice fuze you have.

BN is probably Royal Ordnance Factory Bishopton, 3/80 means it was made or filled in March 1980. Sorry I don't know what the fuze was used in/with.

A current (unrestricted) MOD document still lists the Fuze, Time, Mechanical, Mks 3, 4 and 5 as current. Unfortunatly it doesnt associate them with any particular calibre or type of shell. However as the only current "big gun " in RN service is the 4.5 inch it might be a fair assumption that this is what it was intended for. Does the fuze well diameter and the thread size equate to that found on a 4.5" ?

I don't have a 4.5 projectile to check it in.

Although,the threads match the ones on my N9 and my N6 fuzes if that's any help!?

Cheers,
Andy

Perhaps one of the BOCN naval ordnance experts can assit with sizing for the current RN 4.5inch fuze wells?
The evidence tends to go towards 4.5inch but you never know!

2" 12 tpi uni

Modern 4.5 Inch fuze well threads for Naval fuzes are 12 teeth per inch 2 inch diameter "unified" thread form (60 degree).

N8

Here is a pic of my N8 with an N4?? adapter fitted. Any more ideas on what it fits if not 4.5. Cannot unscrew from adapter but it looks bigger than the 4.5 fuze. Adapter is 98mm diameter.

Attachments

• DSC_0124-2.jpg
    DSC_0124-2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 22
Photo please !

Proditto is there any chance of having a side view of your fuze with its adaptor and a view from underneath also if possible please ?

Nice fuze and thanks Proditto.

N8

Chris,

Here are the pics of the fuze adaptor side and base. Still no idea where or what it fits!

Sandy

Attachments

• DSC_0180.jpg
    DSC_0180.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0181.jpg
    DSC_0181.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for pictures.

Thanks for the pictures Sandy-I am even more sure from the pictures that the item attached to your Fuze is from the end of a large Chaff dispensing rocket (5" inch perhaps) it is a pity you cannot take the fuze apart as that would settle this one way or the other as if rocket launched there would be no requirement for a "rotary safety shutter" merely a "setback" safety device.
Good luck with the hunt for further information!

I should add that the attachment your fuze is screwed into does not appear to fit into any Rifled fired ordnance as it is not threaded and being secured by some other means would indicate to me that it is for use with essentially "unspun" ordnance ie a Rocket of some form.

Last edited:
It looks as though the N8 fuze has no HE components being assigned UN0275 HD1.3C on classification.(supported by the brown low explosive filling ring on the photos) there is a Gaine N8 listed that is obviously HE and is classified as UN0408 HD 1.1D.
the plot thickens.