What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British issue 90mm Cockerill

Falcon

At Detling on Saturday I acquired a 90 x 353R Cockerill case with an interesting headstamp:

--------9 0 M M
--------L 1 A 1
L O T-------------K E
-3 8-------------12

--------1 9 7 5

The primer is a two slot screw-in type marked: "215M2 C CM 77 103 A 4/77". Oddly, the shape of the slots and size of the primer base are almost identical to the primer on a much older 2.95" Mountain gun case I have. There is a long flash tube inside the case, which I find curious as the cockerill projectile has large fins on the base which would seemingly be unable to fit in the case with the flash tube. There is also only a small amount of propellant in the Cockerill case, which wouldn't seem to need a long flash tube.

As it has the marking "L1A1", this indicates that it is a British service case. I have never heard of any British use of this gun, but it must have been made for use by the British military if it is marked L1A1.

I would also like to know who the manufacturer "KE" is.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
At the risk of hijacking this thread I thought I'd add these photos that a friend sent me, because I believe it is British so goes with this thread.
Anyone any ideas? Is this a British Cockerill projectile? What sort of fuze would it take.
All INERT and empty.
Dave.

IMG_1642.jpgIMG_1643.jpg

We see these cases in South Africa which was used in the 90 mm Eland Armoured car as well as the 90 mm Ratel Troop carrier.

The fins fit over the tube.

Will try to find pictures.

90 Sectioned Case

Here is a sectioned 90 mm Case. My case also is head stamped KE.

Attachments

• IMG_5387.JPG
    IMG_5387.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 47