What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Naval 4.5" shell

ydnum303

Hi all,

I have an unfired, never-filled base-ejection star shell, made in 2005. The body was already painted white when I got it, but can anyone please tell me what stencils it should have on it?

Thanks in advance,
Roger.

This is a picture of one of mine, hope it's useful. although dated 71 it may not have changed an awful lot.
Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• 4.5 inch.jpg
    4.5 inch.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 95
The stamping on the projectile say 11/91 so a bit younger the Weasels ,hope it helps ,regards Dave

Attachments

• 2008_1231naval0002.JPG
    2008_1231naval0002.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks!

Weasel and Big Dave, big thanks to you both. This gives me a very good idea of how mine should look.
Regards,
Roger.

Further question!

I see that both of those shown have a black ring just below the tip. What does this indicate? I have always been told that any British shell with an explosive charge or tracer element had a red filling band. Has this now changed to black?
Thanks in advance for any answers.
Roger.

Brown hazard ring.

Hi Ydnum303 it is not a black ring but is a "Brown" low explosive hazard warning ring.

Generally used on munitions that have "ejecting" charges as opposed to "bursting" charges.#
See 3 inch Practice shell, it has a "Spotting" charge producing a bright flash and puff of smoke upon impact or function of fuze.

Attachments

• Q 1.jpg
    Q 1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 53
Thanks.

Thanks Chris, that's excellent! I will proceed on that basis, and on the assumption that the actual stencilling is in black (unless anyone says otherwise).
Regards,
Roger

Nice one.

Yes ydnum303 go with it mate!
White body, Black stencilling and Brown hazard band.
We look forward to seeing your finished item !

If you would like me to measure the size of the band and lettering for you just let me know.
Best Weasel.

Measurements

Weasel; Yes please. I have now been told that the band should be 1/2" wide, and 1" down from the lip of the fuse well. If that is so, then it looks like the lettering is also 1/2" wide, or perhaps a bit bigger, but I would prefer to have actual measurements if possible, rather than just guessing!
Thanks in advance,
Roger