What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British No.119 without night identification ring?

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
sorry, its me again with more questions!

I have a 119 fuze, dated January 1941 which has what appears to be its original black daytime identification ring but is missing the knurled night identification ring. Its Lot 40 and the manufacture is KD. Both the KD and 119 stampings appear to have been applied by hand. The plunger cover is aluminium rather than brass - it feels as if it could be solid but I haven't had time to take the fuze apart to see whats inside.

Has anyone come across a similar 119 or have any thoughts as to why the ring should be missing?

thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 100_5093.jpg
    100_5093.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 72
Monogram KD is from Abington Works Ltd, Birmingham, the body looks to me being a no.117 fuze,as you can unscrew the arming sleeve, why stamped 119 and painted with black ribbon?Think we will need to wait for the fuze professionals to give their opinion.

Robert

thanks Rob, yes it is an odd one. The aluminium plunger cover tends to make me think it might have been a factory reject taken home and finished off there but the paint looks so original that I'm not too certain of that. Obviously, the knurled ring would have been added before the painted one on the normal production line. Perhaps someone will have the answer - they usually do!

regards, Dave