What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British No 210 fuze

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Does anyone have a picture of a British No 210 fuze?

Ideally a cutaway?

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,

I actually have a No 211, but unable to determine how closely this may resemble the No 210 or the differences between them? Seems that the 210 wasn't widely used:

[I also seem to be unable to locate any info on the No 211................]

The time fuzes were:
  • No 210 - a mechanical time (MT) fuze for use with HE shells that was introduced early in the war and does not appear to have been widely used, it was deemed obsolescent by late 1943. Its lack of a percussion function made it less than ideal. 60 second maximum time.
  • No 213 - a MT and percussion fuze for use with HE introduced in 1944.
  • No 183 - time only by combustion used with star shells. 30 second maximum time.
  • No 188 - time only by combustion used with star shells. 48 second maximum time.
  • No 220 - time and percussion fuze used early in the war with non-streamlined smoke shells. The time function was by combustion.
  • No 221 - a time and percussion (graze action) fuze used with streamlined base ejection smoke, star, flare and chemical shells. The time function was by combustion. 50 second maximum time.
  • No 222 - a time and percussion (graze action) fuze used with HE shells including airburst ranging. Could also be used with BE smoke set to 0 for local emergency use. The time function was by combustion, basically it was a No 221 fuze with a gaine added to enable it to detonate exploders. 50 second maximum time.
  • T97 - a VT fuze for 25-pdr and 3.7-inch How. The problem with VT fuzes was their size, their fuze cavity had to be about 3 inches deep due to their battery power supply and pre-transistor electronics. The battery included an energiser in a glass ampoule that broke when the shell was fired. In British shells the deep cavity was achieved by removing the normal exploder and smoke pot and using a short exploder below the fuze.
  • T100 - VT fuze for 5.5-inch and 7.2-inch.
I'll check the 25 pdr handbook later to see if these are referenced.

One difference is that the time scale on the No 211 is from 0 to 21.5 sec.

Cheers
Drew

Thanks Robert,

I should remember to "search" BOCN first (old habits die hard!)

The 210 is certainly an interesting fuse!

Cheers
Drew

You're welcome Drew,

Its good to know that the newbies can teach the oldies something every so, once in a while.. ;-)

Robert

DSCF4534 compressed.jpg

Sorry for the delay Pete Just noticed this thread. Email me if you want me to take a decent photograph at the weekend.