What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British No 94 Fuse - used on which Shrapnel Projectile?

Dronic69

Premium Member
Hi All,

While searching through my fuze boxes for a No80 with an adaptor, I came across this No.94 fuse (dated 1918) - Ahh perhaps a perfect match for my 1918 shrapnel projectile........or is it???

It appears that the No94 (used between 1916 -1921) was originally an 80 with time rings filled with "Chilworth" composition" giving 42-sec burning time for long range shrapnel.

Did they used it for 18pdr shrapnel shells?

I can not find any information on which shrapnel shells used them? (perhaps naval for longer distances??)

Thoughts?

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3806.jpg
    DSCN3806.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN3798.JPG
    DSCN3798.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN3808.jpg
    DSCN3808.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN3811.jpg
    DSCN3811.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 51
Hi Drew,

The No 94 was originally a No 88 fuze.
I was told when I bought mine that it was used with the 60 pdr shrapnel.

Cheers,
Andy

You're welcome!

Can you tell me which shop you buy your fuzes from as I'd like to visit it!

Cheers,
Andy

Fuze No 94

Hi All,

While searching through my fuze boxes for a No80 with an adaptor, I came across this No.94 fuse (dated 1918) - Ahh perhaps a perfect match for my 1918 shrapnel projectile........or is it???
I can not find any information on which shrapnel shells used them? (perhaps naval for longer distances??)

Thoughts? Thanks Cheers Drew

The attached drawing may be of interest. You will see that the No 94 was officially converted from the No 83 but as Andy says the No 88s were used as well (since all but the last Mark of the No 88 were, I believe, conversions of the No 83 so the parts were largely identical).
...and the No 83 was a design based on the No 81...which was...No 80...etc.

[Someone with geneology software might sort all these connections out but until then the development of British fuzes is certainly a difficult subject to study.]

Attachments

• Fuze No 94.pdf
    72.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Andy / Bonnex,

One reference (PDF file) I found on the web listed all the various British fuses (it's on the other computer at home), and this is where it stated that the No 94 was a "modified" No 80....It is a good "quick guide" reference, but may not be 100% accurate.....the Author did try to explain the numbering logic, but I "skimmed" over it as my mission was focused on the No 94 data......I'll post it later...

...and as to if there is ANY LOGIC on how the British numbered their fuses is %^%&^ beyond me!

The larger calibre guns make sense - longer distances - longer burn times required.

At least both sources do agree that the extended time was due to "Chilworth Powder".

Fuse Shop? I wish one existed!!!!! :tinysmile_cry_t:

Cheers
Drew